Who is she.........?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

v_b_gael_h

Who is she.........?

Post by v_b_gael_h » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:23 pm

I am baffled. I have been delving into Elizabeth Stenhouse and find that the parentage is off somewhere.

Elizabeth married Archie Campbell 30 September 1892 at the Manse, Tillicoultry. Listed for her parents are John Stenhouse and Elizabeth McLean (deceased). Witnesses were Archie's brother and Elizabeth's sister Margaret (Maggie).
A birth record acquired lists an Elizabeth Stenhouse born to John Stenhouse and Elizabeth Paterson, which includes Margaret in the census' too.

I am having a very hard time trying to confirm the Elizabeth Mclean on the marriage certificate for one, due to there being no records of a marriage to J. Stenhouse. I have checked through Scotland's People and IGI and World search and keep drawing blanks.

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 pm

The online IGI shows no children to a John Stenhouse and Elizabeth McLean, but shows a large collection of children to John Stenhouse and Elizabeth Paterson. These 13 children were born in Alloa (1), then Sauchie (4), then Clackmannan (5) (all Clackmannanshire) and finally Carnock (3) (Fife).

Do the census reports you have show signs of these 13 children, and if so, do the births and census reports lead you to believe that the marriage certificate is for one of the family of 13? Could McLean be a grandmother's maiden surname given by mistake instead of the mother's maiden surname Paterson?

All the best,

AndrewP

v_b_gael_h

I'm trying to determine

Post by v_b_gael_h » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Dear Andrew:

Thanks for your reply. Elizabeth Stenhouse that I seem to have is born in Carnock to Stenhouse/Paterson and the census' seem to reflect all this.

Other than Elizabeth's marriage to A. Campbell in 1892 this was the only inclination of McLean. Granted I had been unable to determine if any of the other siblings on marriage certificates may have shown this too.
As to reflecting a possible grandparent link I have been unsuccessful at even finding marriages within the IGI; (even with the Paterson/Stenhouse extract in front of me) of any linkage of McLean. Scotland's People has nothing to offer either and the only marriages I could find of John Stenhouse were of Paterson (also died prior to Elizabeth's marriage) and Margaret Robertson.

There has to be a link somewhere, it's just where???? :roll: :cry:

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:52 am

Someone else has an interest in this family line (assuming it’s not yourself). Several links possibly all to the one researcher. The children of John Stenhouse and Elizabeth Paterson shown are Euphemia, John, Andrew, Joseph, Catherine & Sophia. There’s a second marriage to a Margaret Robertson in 1878.

There is a mention of Elizabeth on a post-it note on the WorldConnect one. (just type in John Stenhouse plus spouse surname Paterson and you should get two results)

If Elizabeth was born 1867 and sister Margaret in 1872 they would have been 9 and 4 respectively when their mother died and possibly wouldn’t have had the foggiest idea of what their mothers maiden name was unless there was someone else at the wedding they could have asked.

Might be worth a look at these if you haven’t seen them before.

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
http://www.geocities.com/tetley_56/andr ... house.html
http://www.gbnf.com/GENEALOG4/hamilton/ ... /I0462.HTM

Alan

v_b_gael_h

Stenhouse enquiries

Post by v_b_gael_h » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Dear Currie:

Thanks for the reply. I had looked into the Root's Web and was getting myself all mixed up due to not finding Elizabeth in some of the listings.

It was my father that explained that some people only put what they feel and/or just their genetic linkage in for viewing submissions; others may put in the whole kit and kaboodle. He also advised me to watch if I download any GEDCOM files as they are not all going to have the relevance to my lineage. As I am an adopted child, who incidentally has been in contact with birth family (they haven't even got around to doing genealogy research) and are surprised about me researching are trying to determine what resources they may have for me; however, it was through my father that got me involved with this interesting research.
He is doing the BATTEN line which will be passed down to me; he too was stunned to discover living family as far away as Australia (he's Devonshire) and has been a guest speaker in regards to both his research and encouraging/promoting genealogy research in universities and schools.

I had graphed out the research I had done on the Stenhouse/Paterson
and as I said was baffled to this McLean name. For the life of me it's going to keep baffling me and gnawing at me until I can resolve where this emerged. My dad feels there could be a linkage to Paterson somewhere.
Now I know what they mean by some trying issues may arise in this research.

Thank you again too for the web locales you forwarded :D as they were very interesting, especially the Stenhouse as it too was informative. :)
Now to proceed again, hopefully.