CLARK

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

ennael

CLARK

Post by ennael » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:05 am

Following on from the success of looking for Barbara Fyfe CLARK,
Could I please ask for some help with her brother?
William Adam Smith CLARK
1881 Canadian Census
British Columbia
Yale and Hope.
Yale, British Columbia.

Father John CLARK
Mother Mary ROY

Born 1852, Towie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Can anyone help me find when he went to Canada.

I can't see him in Canada after 1881 Census.

Thanking you,
Leanne

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: CLARK

Post by AndrewP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Leanne,

I see him with his parents, brother and three sisters in the 1861 census in Towie, but no obvious sign of them in Scotland in 1871.

All the best,

AndrewP

ennael

Post by ennael » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 pm

thanks for help given with this topic.
Leane

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi Leane,
I've been attempting to have another stab at it...

I note that the IGI record does not give a day and month for his birth. Have you downloaded the OPR to see if there is more information? I ask because the Canadian census of 1901 asks for the complete birth date. Since there are a number of William Clarks born in Scotland around 1852, it would help to know his exact date of birth.

For example, there is a William Clark in Moffatt, Assiniboia, The Territories (part of what is now, I believe, Saskatchewan) born 25 July 1852 in Scotland. He says he came to Canada in 1865, which would fit with not finding him in Scotland in 1871. It would also fit with him being in BC in 1881, since it is closer to that side of Canada. His oldest child is 16, so he could well have married in between the two censuses. However, going backwards with this one we find him already married and with some older children born before the 1881 census :( So he's out of the running.

There is also this one who was up in the Yukon territory in 1901. It is not a census, but a mention in a directory. He was up there mining and at least has one of the middle initials we are looking for.

Name: William A. Clark
Event: Living
Province: Yukon Territory [Alaska] 
Place: Council City, Alaska
Comments: Miner.
Source: Dawson City, Yukon Territory and Alaska Directory and Gazetteer, 1901, M L Ferguson, 1901.
Volume/Page: 566
Note: The province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occured.

From the 1901 census, this is probably the same William Clark, a quartz miner, born Scotland, living in the "Unorganized Territories". He says he is 45 and came to Canada in 1890 after living some time in the United States. He has been 4 years in the Yukon.

Given that his location in 1881 was only a few miles north of the U.S. border, this could still be him. All he would have had to do is wander south in the same mountains and he would have arrived very soon in Washington State.

What we really need are the non-existent 1890 U.S. census records...

Well... I tried! :roll:
All the best,
Sarah

ennael

Post by ennael » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 am

Once again, thanks for the generosity of time and effort taken with my query.
Most appreciated.
Leanne

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:40 am

SarahND wrote: I note that the IGI record does not give a day and month for his birth. Have you downloaded the OPR to see if there is more information? I ask because the Canadian census of 1901 asks for the complete birth date.
Just wondering whether you have the day and month of his birth, since it would really help in narrowing down the possibilities (assuming he told the truth)

All the best,
Sarah