A new question for you clever people :)

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Scottygirl56

A new question for you clever people :)

Post by Scottygirl56 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Firstly, sorry for all the questions - these are things that have been bothering me for ages so I'm hoping there is some help out there.

I have a gggg grandfather named James Morrison. He was born in Inverurie, Aberdeen (taken from Census records). Later lived in Tough, Aberdeenshire as a farmer/surgeon. Anyway on these records (1841 census) it shows my ggg grandmother Christian Morrison who was born about 1830. He is shown as being married to Elsie Reid and all of their children were born from 1831 onwards. On Christian's death certificate the name of her mother is given as Janet Davidson but I am trying to figure out how this could be. James was a surgeon registered with the Royal college of surgeons London (if anyone can find proof of this I would love that). On the 1841 census Christian's name is written last after his other children even though she was the oldest. I would even think she was not his daughter except for her marriage cert and death cert.

My thoughts are
a) he was either married or in a relationship with Janet Davidson who perhaps died before he married Elsie (Elsy).
b) as a surgeon he might have adopted Christian?
c) they just made a mistake on her death certificate by putting Janet Davidson?

I also can not find any record of Jame's death or Elsie's death or their marriage. Perhaps I'm just hopeless at searching? Your thoughts please.

Lynda
New Zealand
Researching: Pringle, Scott, Bowis/Bow, Halkett, Ballantyne to name a few.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: A new question for you clever people :)

Post by SarahND » Sun May 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Hello Lynda,
A couple of questions that may help us track them down:

Where was Christian born according to the later censuses?

When is your last sighting of James and Elsie and where were they?

There may be no records of Christian's birth or of James & Elsie's marriage, since it is before statutory registration. If you're in luck and the place where Christian was born has existing Kirk Session records, there may be some discussion about it if she was illegitimate.

All the best,
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi Sarah

She states that she was born in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire on all the census following.

I can't track down either James or Elsy after the 1851 census. They were in Tough, Aberdeenshire.

Thanks

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun May 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Nothing on the puzzle over Christian's birth but a wee bit about Mary although you perhaps know this.

The 1861 census shows Mary married to a Richardson Alexander who is a planter in the West Indies. A check at the 19th century newspapers shows that Mary Morrison, 2nd daughter of James Morrison esq. surgeon, Guise, Aberdeenshire, married at St Patrick's Church, Grenada, West Indies in 1858.

Could Elsy and James have died there perhaps?

Regards,
Annette

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Goodness me Annette - this is all news to me! Wow, that is possible. I am continually amazed at what you can find so quickly. Thank you for that - I must add it to my tree :)

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Actually, also interesting that she was called "second daughter" - there is Christian and Jessie. Obviously Christian was not counted as a real daughter?

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Scottygirl56 wrote:Actually, also interesting that she was called "second daughter" - there is Christian and Jessie. Obviously Christian was not counted as a real daughter?
Ahhh never thought of that! :D

Still looking at the newspapers ................Harry was the proprieter of 'Guise' by 1860 and sure enough he is there in 1861. So It looks like James was deceased by then. James gets a couple of mentions as Dr Morrison esq. the last I can find is about 1855.

Harry also gets a mention as a 'general visitor' awaiting the arrival of the Prince and Princess of Wales at the Braemar Games in 1863.

What I find strange is that there doesn't appear to be an obituary for James or Elsy. No will either as far as I can tell yet they were obviously well off. :?

Regards,
Annette

Later...............there is a mention of Dr Morrison, Guise, Tough who was a judge at the Lynturk Games in 1861.

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks for all of this - I wonder then if he is my relation or adoptive relation? No matter I suppose. I know one of the sons trained to be a doctor as I saw that in a future cencus. How wonderful to be able to read the papers - is this because you are in the US? I read you had to have a US address for this? Oh my, I could pick your brain then.... Keep reading :)

Opps, just noticed you are in Scotland - how do you read these papers??

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon May 16, 2011 3:07 am

Hi Lynda,
Many libraries in the UK let you access the newspaper collections from home if you have a library card. Annette is one of the lucky ones...
But you can be lucky too, because it appears that this free opportunity is still going strong:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15443&p=123279#p123279

Have fun! [cheers]

Sarah (in the US, but can't access the 19th century British newspapers except by the above link)

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:12 am

I had a look at the papers on that website but could not find much - nothing on weddings etc. I did find that he was a shareholder of the bank though so that dated him as being alive at around 1852. I presume the fact that he was not mentioned as deceased when his daughter got married means he was still alive in 1858.

I think this is one thing I will never know ie, if he is Christian's real father.