Just a couple of questions

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

miw

Just a couple of questions

Post by miw » Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi
I am looking for help on a two questions.
1. Why would there be an entry in the OPR for Barony Parish, Glasgow for a couple who married in Free South Church, Stirling?
2. Why would a woman whose maiden name when she married in 1850 is Elizabeth Drummond and whose OPR entries for her first 2 children's baptisms give her name as Drummond ( with the names of the 2 witnesses at both Baptisms also being Drummond)then on the Birth Certificates for her following children appear as Dow? Her maiden name on her Death Certificate is Dow ( with no mention of the name Drummond) but on her husband's Death Certificate she appears as Elizabeth Dow formerly known as Elizabeth Drummond. Do I assume she was married twice - though no trace of a marriage before 1850?

Hope the above makes sense and someone can advise, please.

MIW :?

nelmit

Re: Just a couple of questions

Post by nelmit » Sun May 13, 2012 8:22 pm

The most likely answer for Q1 is that one of the pair came from Glasgow and one from Stirling. The OPR 'marriage' entries are the posting of the banns at the relevant home parish. If the couple came from different parishes then they would be called at both.

Was Elizabeth the one who married William McEwan in 1850?

Regards,
Annette

miw

Post by miw » Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello Annette

Thanks for your thoughts on Q1, but they were both in Glasgow. Q2, You have the correct marriage.

miw

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Q1. although they may be from Glasgow one or other could well have been working in the other parish and that would be the reason for the banns being called in both places.
Q2. OPR birth or Christening records would show the parents names with the mother's maiden name being used - that is normal practise.
as far as death certificate information is concerned the info is only as good as the person giving it .
Wilma

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun May 13, 2012 11:48 pm

What were Elizabeth's parents names on her death entry?

Perhaps her mother married again or maybe she was illegitimate and used her father's name at some points in her life.

I see there is a Mary Drummond in the household in 1851 - was she Elizabeth's sister?

Regards,
Annette

Spacot

Post by Spacot » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:31 am

Just a possible solution to Q2,
while doing my research I also have come across the phenonemom of the surname/gow cross, The solution I found was that the persons father was a smith, as in blacksmith, gow is the scots nickname for a smith so the father would have been known by both surnames in my case McBain or Gow, this nickname often carried on down the generations, as did the surname Smith, [the original smiths would have had a different name] it took several generations for the family to decide which one to use [sometimes not untill the early 20th century]. Dow is another "name" which follows the same path, their are probably many more.
While doing my family I began with 5 Gows and have ended with none.
Researching
SANSON anywhere, MCBAIN inverness/aberdeenshire/glasgow,
KELLY ireland/glasgow, BELL ireland/campsie/glasgow

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Q1. Sometimes a couple who were married in one of the "protesting" churches had their marriage recorded in the Parish Register of the Established Church; it enabled them to show that they were "legally" married. I've got a couple of these in my records.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

miw

Post by miw » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Sorry for delay in response, just home from a few days in a fairly soggy south. Thanks you for your help with this one. I can find no trace of another marriage and on her Death Certificate her maiden name appears as Dow and that is also her father's surname. A little more digging may come up with an answer. Never say die. Thanks again

MIW :)