Help!!!

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Russell

Re: Help!!!

Post by Russell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Gwennypenny

For Births and marriages before 1855 you need to go to scotlandspeople.gov.uk. they hold ALL the Scottish records since Statutory Registration began in 1855. It is a pay to view site but what you see is the actual Register entry and it can be downloaded for your records. Buying credits allows you to search the records and if you know approximately when and where they married even with common names it is easy to narrow down your search.
Their marriage entry will give you the names of their parents. Once back to 1854 you need to find relatives in the OPR (Old Parish Registers) That poses more of a problem as some are incomplete and even the complete records can give only limited information.
All of us, Admin included, have had to dig out the credit card and buy credits.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

gwennypenny

Post by gwennypenny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I bought credits last night and wasted6 already and it didnt show me anything I think i did it wrong. There was nothing to view.I will keep digging.Thanks so much :D

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:28 pm

gwennypenny wrote:I bought credits last night and wasted6 already and it didnt show me anything I think i did it wrong. There was nothing to view.I will keep digging.Thanks so much :D
I think you just need to change your viewing preference - I use 'direct download'.

On your SP home page click on the 'My Details' tab.
Scroll down and you will see 'Image Viewer'.
Use the drop down to change the viewer to Direct Download (don't forget to click on Update your details)and you'll be able to view the image you bought. Just click on the viewed images tab.

Regards,
Annette

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Hello gwennypenny,

Welcome to Talkingscot! [talkingscot]

To find out your grandparents' parents names, the best thing would be to try looking for your grandparents' marriage registration. If you start a new topic, naming your grandparents and giving details such as year of birth, approximate year of marriage and death, you might have people jumping in to assist your search.

Ninatoo
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi Gwennypenny,
If anyone can help you it will be the good folk on this site.
Read what they tell you, they will steer you in the right direction.
Sounds like you have the problem I had, with the viewerfor S.P.
Now using 'Java'!
I have been trying to link James Richmond to the couple who I now think must be his Aunt & Uncle.
I cannot get passed William and Sarah for his parents, so no luck on that front!
Heading off today for a ten day holiday to see the other end of my tree. Four great grandchildren to visit.
There is a fifth on the way, but will not be here until October.
Will check in from time to time, but no great research taking place til I get back home
Best regards
Ann
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:19 am

Hi all,
I think, from a PM discussion in the background, that Gwen's problem was that the records were too recent to view. But it may be the direct download problem too, for all I know. Anyway, I hope she is now on the right track and can get a copy of her grandparents' marriages to track down their parents and get back far enough to be able to download the images (and to post detailed questions on the forum!)

Crossing my fingers!

Sarah

gwennypenny

Post by gwennypenny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:22 pm

I have changed my settings now and sarah has been an angel. O:)

gwennypenny

Post by gwennypenny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:04 pm

I find this very fascinating but very very hard too

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:26 am

It's all the more rewarding when it is difficult and yet you manage to succeed in finding someone! That said, if you get stuck there is always someone here to help out-- most of us love the detective work and get nearly as excited when you find a relative as you do :roll: :lol:

All the best,
Sarah

janelogan

Post by janelogan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm

I've come into this discussion rather late but I think Wee Ann may be a fourth(?) cousin of mine. Growing up in the Highlands of Scotland, we were always told that great granny Margaret Richmond's father had been a gamekeeper at Fort Augustus/Glenmoriston. I searched in that area but only found the Richmond family at Boleskine but still thought there must be some connection when I saw the Thomasin name. These three areas are within a few miles of each other as the crow flies so it was quite frustrating because the ages were all wrong. Margaret Richmond had married John Mackenzie in Inverness and I searched in vain for her birth before discovering from the Irish census of 1901 that she was born in England. After much searching, I found her at Haighton Hall, aged 7 months. I couldn't find any trace of her mother Lydia (Liddy) in marriages/deaths (Margt and John's wedding certificate of 1862 shows her as deceased). Thanks to your ongoing chat about Inverness and Ross and Cromarty, I decided to try searching there and found her - as well as several siblings of Margaret Richmond I never knew existed. I also found Thomas Richmond was Head Keeper at Strathconon - quite some distance from the Loch Ness area! I now think that the James Richmond at Boleskine may have been a brother of Thomas, making him an uncle of my great granny, Margaret Richmond. Does this tie in with anyone else's research?

JaneMac