help with scotlands people

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

derekfrom france

help with scotlands people

Post by derekfrom france » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am

happy new year to all
Ihave had some serious computer probs in which I lost all my password data for SP also have had to change my email add
how can I recover all the certifs that I acquired from the site
cheers Derek
interests
dumfries+gall menzies/geddes/herring/fleming
erskine/hairstones
ayrshire kerr /brotchie/campbell
fife eadie/johnman/kilgour/bogie/ellis

StewL

Re: help with scotlands people

Post by StewL » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Derek
You could contact SP and explain you have lost your password, any documents you have viewed on SP will still be there, so no worrier about that.
I had a similar problem a while ago and SP were most helpful.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

derekfrom france

Post by derekfrom france » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:40 am

hi stewie tnx for advice all is back as before
hope you are not too hot downunder

cheers Derek
interests
dumfries+gall menzies/geddes/herring/fleming
erskine/hairstones
ayrshire kerr /brotchie/campbell
fife eadie/johnman/kilgour/bogie/ellis

lanesofscotland

Looking for my ancestors home 1890 era?

Post by lanesofscotland » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Would anyone know if this house would still be standing in Maryhill, Scotland? It is 128 Hyndford St OR Wyndford St. (having a hard time deciding exactly which letters are correct from the death certificate). It is the last address of my ancestors before the mother died in childbirth and her children (my great -grandfather) were sent to Canada as British Home Children through Quarriers Orphanage in 1890. Or how to try to look it up on virtual street map if that is possible also. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.
Laura (Lane)

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Laura
I think your best bet would be to write to Quarriers as they have very good records relating to all the children who were sent out to Canada. a few of the last groups who were sent even have photographs in the Quarriers archives ! They would record last known home address for all the children who were admitted into care.
I used to work in Quarriers until I retired. They no longer are needed to take care of orphans but still work offering respite care for children with disabilities; homeless teenagers; children and adults with intractible epilepsy; support care for those with severe learning disabilities.
The address is Head Office (Archives)
Quarriers Village
by Bridge of Weir
Renfrewshire
Scotland.

Good luck Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Falkyrn

Re: Looking for my ancestors home 1890 era?

Post by Falkyrn » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:21 pm

lanesofscotland wrote:Would anyone know if this house would still be standing in Maryhill, Scotland? It is 128 Hyndford St OR Wyndford St. (having a hard time deciding exactly which letters are correct from the death certificate). It is the last address of my ancestors before the mother died in childbirth and her children (my great -grandfather) were sent to Canada as British Home Children through Quarriers Orphanage in 1890. Or how to try to look it up on virtual street map if that is possible also. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.
Laura (Lane)
There is a Wyndford Road in Maryhill but all of the buildings there are relatively recent construction (enter Wyndford Road, Glasgow in any maps package and it should bring it up). The modern Wyndford estate was built on the site of the Maryhill Barracks which were opened in 1872 by the City of Glasgow although Maryhill was at that time an independant Burgh outside the City boundaries.

I have just checked my maps for 1892 and there is a WYNDFORD STREET listed in Maryhill but it does not seem to follow the same path as the modern Wyndford Road ....

I have checked the maps ...... Wyndford Street is now part of what is known as Maryhill Road in Glasgow the modern Wyndford Road has no connection other than the name. Unfortunately it is difficult to say exactly where the street number you have was as there have been a number of changes to the area and Glasgow renamed and renumbered a lot of streets in the 1920's after it had annexed a number of adjoining Burghs and found itself with several duplicate street names etc.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17 ... layers=168 is the link for the map on the National Library of Scotland site if you zoom in to Maryhill Wyndford Street can be seen just south of the Forth & Clyde Canal Aquaduct
Last edited by Falkyrn on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~RJ Paton~

lanesofscotland

Post by lanesofscotland » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Thank you Russell, you are very helpful. I will write or email Quarriers. How nice that you worked there,very interesting. I appreciate your guidance and will follow through with your suggestion. :)
Laura

lanesofscotland

Post by lanesofscotland » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:30 pm

I see that Wyndford St had been changed over the many years to Maryhill Road, NW. Maybe thats why your not seeing the same path Russell.