Scotland's People

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Wee Ann

Scotland's People

Post by Wee Ann » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:25 am

I have been out of touch with Scotland's People for some time before they went off air to set up the new site. On trying to get a new pass word to get back on board, I am running into all kinds of difficulties. :oops: I am sure that someone here will be able to help me.
Thank you in advance
Wee Ann
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland

Currie

Re: Scotland's People

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 am

Hello Ann,

Sorry that you haven't had a reply. Have you managed to sort out the problem?

When I logged on to the new site for the first time I was asked to change my password. I think it needed to have eight characters including at least one of each of a number, lower case, and upper case letter. I just added a couple to the tail end of my old one.

There's a bit of info here. https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/technical-help

All the best,
Alan

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:33 am

Thank you Alan! I tried again using your link - we will see what happens now.
Ann

Andersonic

Post by Andersonic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 pm

I believe that Scotlands' People has been doing some sort of re-organisation / relaunch recently, according to some comments on "Rootschat" forum.

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:17 am

I am in touch with them! It will all be sorted - I hope :!:

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:01 am

Hello

I have been looking for a "How to" post, educating folk on how to navigate the new Scotlands People website. The absence of such a post makes me feel particularly dense :oops:

I just can't make head nor tail of the new site. I got my new password accepted ok but can't find a simple way of entering search criteria which will come up with an index showing a selection of possibles with their parish etc. I get lots of pictures or other sources suggested. It's me - I know it's me - but please can someone tell me clearly how to get into a nice clean clear page that just offers me sensible questions that I can answer to get something similar to the index pages we used to get and also a clear list of the various records to search.

The nearest I have got is a resume telling me they have found 25 matches, 4 in church register records, 6 in census records etc. No earthly use as it doesn't say which parish they are in or give any indication of the name (I was using wildcards).

I would be most grateful for some guidance.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:57 am

Hi Lorna:

Not yet familiar with the new site, so can not help at the moment as I got this message The site scotlandspeople.com has been disabled. Please contact support.

Hopefully they will be up and running soon and we can help.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Lorna, it sounds like you are using the 'People' search at the top of the page which gives results of various records only, like the old 'Free' search on the old site. Below that there are three pictures, the first one is 'Search for People' , click on the search button and the 'Advanced' search page comes up displaying the various records to search in each category then choose the record type you want.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Anne H

Added: The top of the page has a 'Help and Guidance' section, click on that and different categories will come up one of which is 'What records are in the site' and you should find the information for the records they have.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm

paddyscar wrote:Hi Lorna:

Not yet familiar with the new site, so can not help at the moment as I got this message The site scotlandspeople.com has been disabled. Please contact support.

Hopefully they will be up and running soon and we can help.

Frances
Hi Frances - you may have an old link. The site address is scotlandspeople.gov.uk not scotlandspeople.com

Trish
Last edited by trish1 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi Lorna

This is how I usually search the new site - Once you log on, underneath the general purpose search is a box that says
Advanced people search Click on this link

The next screen gives you the options for statutory registers (the default), church registers, census valuation and legal (wills etc). When you click any of these the underneath menu changes.

For statutory records you have births, marriages, deaths - and in addition divorces, civil partnerships, dissolutions

Click on any of these and you have the search with all the details you are looking for.

hope this helps

Trish

PS If you want to see the other searches available (not by names) on any screen select "search our records" from the horizontal menu underneath the SP logo