Parents or Grandparents (McCann/Mcsevney)

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Parents or Grandparents (McCann)

Post by AndrewP » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:35 pm

On her second(?) marriage certificate, when Margaret Hamilton or Ross married Ed Holmes, you get her parents' names. It looks like Hamilton should be her maiden surname, and Ross her first married surname. So, I don't think that she was ever married to John Simpson. Going by her date at marriage and on census returns, her birth should be around 1863.

Confusing indeed.

AndrewP

davelna

Post by davelna » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Andrew, Thank you for your help.
I have managed to track down my grandmother Margaret Simpson or Holmes. Her correct name is Margaret Jane Paterson Simpson born 3rd January 1894 in Partick. Mother given as Maggie Hamilton widow of Thomas Ross. Thomas Ross (first marriage 1878) died as the result of a railway accident 1st April 1886. Margaret Hamilton married Edward Holmes 4th October 1900 in Partick (second marriage).

Anyone know where I can find railway accident report for Thomas Ross 1886?
Interests; Boyd/Boyde, Sutherland, Stevenson and McBeath in Fordyce, Sandend and Keith

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Hello davelna,

Edinburgh Evening News, Friday, April 02, 1886; pg. 2.
http://imgur.com/a/FsxSt

Hope that works,
Alan

davelna

Post by davelna » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Thank you Alan,

I managed to download. How tragic and also to leave a wife and 3 young children. How on earth did they manage.

regards

David
Interests; Boyd/Boyde, Sutherland, Stevenson and McBeath in Fordyce, Sandend and Keith

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm

davelna wrote:Hello Sarah,

Marriage was 22nd June 1912 in Partick. Father given as John Simpson, deceased and mother Margaret Simpson nee Holmes. However, there is a correction attached made 1955 to say mother should have read Margaret Hamilton or Ross or Holmes. It also states Margaret Simpson should read Margaret Simpson formerly Hamilton or Ross. Document is signed Maggie Jane Paterson or McSevney.

I guess someone has been married several times or is illegitimate. Totally confusing.

David
Hi David,

I'm not sure if you have this (or even want it) but there is a death registered at SP in 1955 at Partick of a Margaret Holmes / Hamilton age 49.

Regards,
Annette

davelna

Re: Parents or Grandparents (McCann/Mcsevney)

Post by davelna » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Thank you Annette,

Found death certificate for Margaret Simpson/Ross/Hamilton/Holmes (McSevney) for 14th September 1956 in Govan. Have yet to find her mother.

Best wishes