Divorce records in AU

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

speleobat2

Divorce records in AU

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm trying to find a record of a divorce which would have happened in Queensland sometime between 1889 and 1917. I have seen the Queensland records for 1861-1894 and it isn't in them. The people concerned were James Cadenhead and Margaret Harper. They had their last child together in 1888 I think in Maryborough. They had lived in Ipswich prior to that. Margaret remarried in 1917 to Henry Baxter. Any help would be appreciated!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

StewL

Re: Divorce records in AU

Post by StewL » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:53 am

Hi Carol
http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/resources/fam ... ry/divorce
This may provide the information you are after, although have no idea of cost's involved
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks Stewie! I didn't find anything online, but I will pass the link on to my cousin who lives near Perth.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 am

Hi Carol

Divorce in Australia was a state issue until 1976, so records are held by the State Supreme Court Offices and/or the Queensland State Archives until 1975.
Maryborough is probably part of the Southern Division (Ipswich certainly is) so hopefully the records are at the state archives.

A marriage certificate issued after the date of the divorce will contain the divorce date. With or without that date I think an email to the state archives would result in finding if the divorce exists (remembering that some people remarried without ever getting a divorce in earlier times). The archives provide a copy service for a fee so they could advise as to cost
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/About/Pa ... ctQSA.aspx

Most divorces in those times were reported in the newspapers - some with great detail, others simply the names. Could be worth checking here http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Trish

Edit: I'm seeing from searching they weren't married in Qld - so the marriage certificate showing the divorce probably not relevant - unless they married in another Australian state. There is a James who died in 1893 (outside Brisbane, born scotland) & another in 1927 (Brisbane)

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Trish,

Thanks for looking around. Ancestry.com has the death cert for James Cadenhead in 1927 and it has the correct parents. They also have the marriage cert for Margaret Harper and Henry Baxter in 1917. It is interesting because the note below her name says her married name was Cadenhead but that she was a widow! They were married in Queensland 22 Aug 1917. Will have a look at the newspaper site after I have another cup of coffee.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi Carol

Here is a direct link to the Qld bdms https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/ ... ype=births

A "C" on the code indicates country (ouside of central Brisbane). "B" indicates Brisbane

The note on the ancestry record was added by an ancestry user - IF she had married as a widow the index/certificate would be in her married name & the certificate would indicate whether she was a widow or divorced. This indicates that she married in her maiden name - which seems slightly weird as she had children with James Cadenhead - unless - was she never married to James Cadenhead? Do you know where Margaret was born?

Presumably this is her death

1932 C1808 Margaret Baxter Alexander Harper Annie Tokan (died 7 May - you can modify the search to find the exact date)

And from the newspapers I referenced earlier

Maryborough Chronicle Qld Mon 9 May P4 Death
Baxter - at the residence of her son, William Baxter (Urangan) on May 7 1932, Margaret, relict of the late Henry Baxter late of Maryborough. Aged 75 years At Rest. William would perhaps be her son born Cadenhead

This is getting stranger. Death of Henry Baxter apprears to give the Children born Cadenhead, the name Baxter. (I need to check the women's marriages to be sure)

Death Henry Baxter 1919 C4237 Henry Baxter - - ** born New Zealand aged 62 years
Maryborough Chronicle, Wide Bay & Burnett Advertiser Mon 7 July 1919 Deaths
Baxter - On 4th July 1919 accidentally killed at Ridgley, Susan, off Pialba Road, Maryborough, Henry beloved husband of Margaret Baxter & beloved father of Mrs W E Spranklin, Mrs James Robertson, & James Alexander, and William Baxter - aged 62 years

Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Sorry my post is somewhat all over - I keep getting thrown out with the error Andrew explained!

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm

And a marriage for William
1907 B5176 William Cadenhead ** k/a Baxter Elsie Maud Willis

And elizabeth 1911 C2236 James Robertson Elizabeth Cadenhead Baxter

Trish

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Yes, the records seem to be confused as to what the children's father's name was, but their birth records all show Cadenhead. It's the marriage and death records that are confused (I think!). I have the marriage cert for James and Margaret in Scotland. They married Sep. 18, 1880 in Peterculter, Aberdeenshire. Margaret's parents were Alexander Harper and Ann Tocher. James' parents were James Wiliamson Cadenhead and Jane Petrie. He was illegitimate. On one of the census records, I think it was 1881, it says Margaret was born in Inverkeithny, Banffshire.

Took me six tries to get back here. Now let's see if I can get this posted!

Thanks to Andrew for working on the problem!

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:59 am

Hi Carol

There is some name confusion for the children - as you mention. Some of their deaths are more recent so I won't put the details on here - but the last born died under the name Baxter, all the others under Cadenhead. Most married as Baxter & are on the electoral rolls as Baxter.

Margaret first appears on the rolls as Margaret Baxter, with Henry in 1903 (about the start of the on line rolls). Her sons appear on the rolls as Baxter. There is no sign of James on the rolls, other than a possible mis-spelling in 1905 when the person listed is living in a tent.

Online indexes show wills to Henry, Margaret and son WIlliam. http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Research ... Wills.aspx
These can be viewed at the archives (or scans purchased) and may provide some insight into the children. Wills & associated documents also provide a copy of the death certificate which give marriage & children information. I live not so far from the archives - if it would help your research I might be able to get to see the wills.

The marriage certificate for Henry & Margaret is available to download. Somewhat more expensive than ScotPeople - the cost is $AU20.70 - the current exchange rate is US 75cents to the $AU - so around $15US. That should contain details of his parents/her parents, where they were born & whether previously married/divorced/widowed. It's not possible to access certificates other than the purchase of same.

I'll send you a message with the other things I checked - using ancestry & Qld websites you may have already checked them all. - I did find the immigration - an Alfred aged 6 appears - do not see him anywhere else - not on 1881 census, not in Australia.

Trish