The Kennels, St Martins, Perthshire

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

paulpesda

The Kennels, St Martins, Perthshire

Post by paulpesda » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:47 pm

Can anybody explain to me what 'The Kennels' were in St Martins, Perth please?
Thanks

Currie

Re: The Kennels, St Martins, Perthshire

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Hello Paulpesda,

In the Dundee Courier, in March, 1901, there's an announcement for a Glass Ball and Clay Pigeon shooting match to be held at St Martins Kennels.

In the same newspaper, in July , 1902, there's a Lost Notice for a black and tan Gordon Setter bitch, strayed from St Martins Kennels. To be returned to G. Stewart, Overseer.

Same newspaper, November, 1937, there's a marriage notice for a gentleman described as the son of the late Charles M'Intosh, the Kennels, St Martins.

St Martins is less than about 30 kilometers from Dundee so presumably it's the same place. My guess is that it's a boarding kennel for show and hunting dogs, etc, but also used for other purposes, and that the Overseer, and maybe other employees, etc, live on the premises.

Hope that helps,
Alan

paulpesda

Post by paulpesda » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank you Alan. That's a great help. My ancestors were gamekeepers, so the dog connections match. I did think it might have an animal link to it. Thanks

rossm

Post by rossm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi,

These would have been the Kennels associated with St Martins Abbey. Despite the name, this isn't actually an Abbey, but actually a rather grand mansion and former country estate just outside Balbeggie, complete with its own Deer Park, Pheasantry, etc. Everything the sporting Country Gentleman would need! I had a quick look on the 1901 map on the NLS website, and unfortunately it appears that the cottage associated with the Kennels no longer exists (looks like it may have disappeared by the 1950s).

Cheers
Ross