Tracing the lineage of Jarvis Neilson

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

neilson

Tracing the lineage of Jarvis Neilson

Post by neilson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 pm

I am trying to trace the lineage of my grandfather, Jarvis Neilson (1882-1917) born in Glasgow. His parents were Robert Neilson Neilson (1843-1896) Glasgow and Margaret Stephen (1843 - ?) Croy, Inverness. I believe Robert's father was also Robert and possibly born 1807 in Dalyiel, Lanark. His mother was also Margaret and maybe Margaret Russell. There are too many Roberts and Margarets for me to trace the lineage. I would appreciate any help in this regard.

nelmit

Re: Tracing the lineage of Jarvis Neilson

Post by nelmit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Hello and welcome to Talking Scot. :D

If you haven't done so already the first thing I would do is buy some credits at www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk and look at the 1871 marriage entry of Robert Neilson and Margaret Stephen/Steven (it is indexed under both).

This will give you both sets of parents' names. If it turns out that the parents are indeed Robert Neilson and Margaret Russell I would look at the birth entry of their son John in 1855 as it will give lots of info.

John Neilson
Gender Male
Birth Date 12 May 1855
Birthplace MILTON,GLASGOW,LANARK,SCOTLAND
Father's Name Robert Neilson
Mother's Name Margaret Russell

I assume you have looked census records since you know where they were born but here they are in 1881 anyway. Margaret is easy enough to find on earlier census records with her family but Robert's parents will have to be confirmed from the marriage entry or his death entry.

Robert Neilson 38 born Larkhall, Lanark
Margaret Neilson 35 born Croy, Inverness
James Neilson 18
Norman Neilson 9
William Neilson 5
Robert Neilson 3
Alexander Neilson 1
Catherine McKay 20
Thomas Neilson 8 Mos

Regards,
Annette