Anyone searching Cameron family Strathdon?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

tishgibbons

Anyone searching Cameron family Strathdon?

Post by tishgibbons » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm

I have Helen GRASSICK/GRASSICH (daughter of Alexander GRASSICK/H and Ann FARQUHARSON) marrying William CAMERON in 1852. They are in Strathdon in 1861 with daughter Hellen (born 1852) and son William (born 1856). Helen Senior dies in 1863 (no cause given, is that odd?) and in 1871 I see both Hellen Junior and William Junior separately working as servants in the Forbes and Duncan households respectively in Strathdon. Since then, nothing. The names are common so any search I do comes up with so many hits I can't spend 6 credits on each of them. Anyone got any ideas about shortcuts?? ](*,) :?
Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

nelmit

Re: Anyone searching Cameron family Strathdon?

Post by nelmit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi Tish,

According to somebody at Ancestry this is her in 1891 at Inverurie. She married George Lemmon in 1890 at Inverurie and was his 2nd wife.

George Lemmon 45
Helen Lemmon 38 born Strathdon
Bella Lemmon 15
George Lemmon 13
Jessie Lemmon 10
Annie Lemmon 7
Williamina Lemmon 7mo
Helen Cameron 11

Find a grave have her DOB as 19th November 1852 and she died in 1934 at Inverurie.

When I look for William at Ancestry there is only one who was born at Strathdon around 1855.

He is a shepherd in 1891 and 1901 at Tarves.

Regards,
Annette

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:05 am

Oh Annette - thank you so much!! I think you helped me previouslhy in another of my brick walls, years back! That is so kind of you - I'm on the case! I wonder who the little Helen Cameron is, aged 11? William's daughter?? Great to have something new to get my teeth into!
Hope your own research goes well!
Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:20 am

Hmm! Helen Cameron according to the 1891 census born Inverurie now aged 2. Can find no Helen Cameron born Inverurie at all! And no Helen Cameron of the right age in Aberdeenshire in 1881. Am I having trouble with SP - haven't used it much since it changed??
tish

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm

tishgibbons wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:20 am
Hmm! Helen Cameron according to the 1891 census born Inverurie now aged 2. Can find no Helen Cameron born Inverurie at all! And no Helen Cameron of the right age in Aberdeenshire in 1881. Am I having trouble with SP - haven't used it much since it changed??
tish
No she is a wee mystery Tish.

I've tried different searches to try and pin her down but no luck.

Regards,
Annette

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks Annette - I'll keep hunting. there is something strange about everyone called 'Helen' in this family - been leading me a merry dance for 20 years - Helen Mitchell (turned up in Newcastle-upon-Tyne); her niece Helen Wilson (changed her name - took me a while to figure it); and that Helen's daughter, also Helen (McConnachie) - and now this little one, Helen Cameron, a first cousin of the first mentioned, Helen Mitchell! - but loving every minute anyway!
Happy Hunting.
Tish

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:40 pm

I finally solved the mystery of Helen CAMERON. She was born before the marriage of her parents (William CAMERON C.1854-1887 and Maggie INGRAM 1863-1887). Helen was born 30 July 1884 and her birth was registered in the name of Helen Farquharson INGRAM.
After the deaths of both parents she seems to have been taken in by her aunt, Helen LEMMON ms. CAMERON.
The little minx disappears again from Inverurie, but at least I know who she is and that she is connected - my 2nd cousin 3 times removed :D so I'll keep chasing.
Thanks all for the help!
Tish

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:00 am

She really does like to hide doesn't she.

There are only 6 Helen Farquhar* born around that time who die in Scotland,
and none of them have any of the surnames your problem child could go under!

I'm glad you at least have verified her birth and family connection.
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:09 pm

WilmaM wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:00 am
She really does like to hide doesn't she.

There are only 6 Helen Farquhar* born around that time who die in Scotland,
and none of them have any of the surnames your problem child could go under!

I'm glad you at least have verified her birth and family connection.
Similarly, I see no sign of a marriage for her as Helen, Hellen, Ellen or Nellie.

AndrewP

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:30 pm

Thanks Wilma and Andrew.
Emigration, I suppose?