General Query

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Wee Ann

General Query

Post by Wee Ann » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:52 am

It has been a while since I visited the site, but I have started looking at my tree again. I find that my great, great grandparents although they lived for many years in Inverness-shire, (he was a gamekeeper) when the time for retirement (?)came, they finished up in Glasgow. I have the address where they both passed away, and I wondered if was maybe some type of 'facility'. The address was 54, McIntosh Street, which is off Duke Street. I had a look at modern maps for the area, but everything has been rebuilt, and there is nothing left of what used to be.
I cannot find any of the family at that time having removed to Glasgow, and I just wondered what could have taken them there in their declining years.
Thanks in anticipation
Ann
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: General Query

Post by AndrewP » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 am

Hi Ann,

It looks like 54 McIntosh Street was a tenement flat.

See 1951/52 map: http://maps.nls.uk/view/130374070

All the best,

AndrewP

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 am

If he was a gamekeeper, he would likely have had a "tied" house which they would lose on retiral so they would have had to move. Perhaps family members were in Glasgow and they moved to be closer to them in old age? Who registered their deaths? Do they have Glasgow addresses?

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 am

Thank you Andrew and Caroline for you swift replies.
I believe that it was James's daughter, Ann who registered his death. Maybe she had removed to Glasgow? I should have looked for her before bothering anyone, but I was so puzzled. It seems like such a big undertaking when getting on in years to move from the highlands into a city like Glasgow.
Thank you for the map! It clearly wasn't a facility of any kind. I couldn't find an old map at all, and of course all the tenements have long gone.
Thanks again! I think I will have to have a look for Ann now.(Hope she hasn't married or I'm stuck!)

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi Ann,

This may not be relevant but right next to McIntosh Street on Duke Street is the Eastern District Hospital, have a look at the Canmore website for 253 Duke Street, Eastern District Hospital (link below), view the larger map (and switch to the Aerial Photography, you can see the new properties that are in McIntosh Street and an old sandstone building on Duke Street that would have been the Hospital) maybe the properties in McIntosh Street were part of the Hospital?

Eastern District Hospital - https://canmore.org.uk/site/163094/glas ... t-hospital

John

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:52 am

Thank you for that John! It was a much better map than I was able to get myself, but after coming out and reading your post again, I tried to get back to it, and my silly machine told me it couldn't find the page :oops:
I will let it have a rest and try again later.
Thank you for your help
Ann

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi Ann,

Typical, the web site looks like it is down, hence not finding the map. A whole day is quite a long time for it to be down though.

Maybe tomorrow?

John

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:57 am

Hi Anne:

You might find some information on the location at http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/

paddyscar
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:55 am

My thanks to all who answered and tried to help. I now think that 54, McIntosh Street, was just where they lived, (and died by all accounts). I still haven't managed to trace daughter Ann, but maybe I won't after all this time. Her information wasn't much help to me anyway. Not very accurate.
Thanks again
Ann

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Glasgow Herald, Friday, July 1, 1859.
(Page 2, first column, 3rd item.) https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=p ... 89%2C98609

TO LET, HOUSES of One and Two Rooms and Kitchen, with Water Closets, &c., in 54 M'Intosh Street, off Duke Street.
Apply to J. H. Wilson, Bookseller, 30 Hope Street.

Alan