William Boyd and Elizabeth Bings

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

davelna

William Boyd and Elizabeth Bings

Post by davelna » Tue May 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Trying to find any information for William Boyd and Elizabeth Bings. They had a daughter Margaret Boyd born 1852 in Newhills Aberdeen.
Interests; Boyd/Boyde, Sutherland, Stevenson and McBeath in Fordyce, Sandend and Keith

WilmaM

Re: William Boyd and Elizabeth Bings

Post by WilmaM » Tue May 01, 2018 9:57 pm

This could be them in 1851:
Piece: SCT1851/226 Place: Newhills -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 4
Civil Parish: Newhills Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 147 Page: 29 Schedule: 110
Address: Hope Croft

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
BINGS Alex Head W M 70 Farm Labourer Aberdeenshire - Echt
BINGS Wm Brothr U M 68 Farm Labourer Aberdeenshire - Echt
BINGS Elizabeth Dau U F 30 Aberdeenshire - Skene
JAFFREY Anne Visitr U F 34 Paper Maker Aberdeenshire - Dyce
Piece: SCT1851/226 Place: Newhills -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 4
Folio: 147 Page: 25 Schedule: 94
Address: Mains Of Craibstone

SHIVES Andw Servnt M M 41 Farm Overseer 130 Acres Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
BOYD William Servnt U M 28 Farm Servant Banffshire - Fordyce Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
WRIGHT James Servnt U M 25 Farm Servant Perth - Perth Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
HATT James Servnt U M 22 Farm Servant Aberdeenshire - Old Machar Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
LAW John Servnt U M 60 Farm Servant Aberdeenshire - Alford Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
SKINNER John Servnt U M 53 Farm Servant Aberdeenshire - Chapel Of Garioch Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
DOWNIE Elizabeth Servnt U F 29 House Servant Aberdeenshire - Old Machar Reltnshp: Servant to Mr ANDERSON
The Bings family is around in 1841 too but the daughter Elizabeth's age doesn't vary much 30 in 1851 33 in 1841! [both on Freecen and the SP index] I can't spot any of the family in subsequent census.
Nor can I find a death of a Bings/Boyd lady after 1855.

What further information do you have on the child, Margaret?
Wilma

davelna

Post by davelna » Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am

Thank you for your reply. The only information I have for Margaret Boyd is her birth date 24th October 1852, baptised 4th November 1852 both in Newhills, Aberdeen.

1841 Census records William Boyd, age 20, Farm Servant in Boyndie. William was born 1818 in Fordyce. His mothers name was Margaret. I can find no marriage date or any other information for any of them following birth of Margaret in 1852.
Interests; Boyd/Boyde, Sutherland, Stevenson and McBeath in Fordyce, Sandend and Keith

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

there are 3 Elizabeth BINGS deaths of around the right age range

1 aged 78 in 1899 Newhills, another in Newhills 1893 aged 77 and an Aberdeen one aged 82 in 1890.
None of them correspond to any Elizabeth Boyd deaths.

Were they in fact ever married? in which case she would have carried on being Bings and the child would go by that surname -or if mother did marry they could both go by the 2nd man's surname.

The 1861 census gives the same daughter still living with her father/uncle? at Hopecroft
Piece: SCT1861/226 Place: Newhills -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 4
Folio: 0 Page: 10 Schedule: 45
Address: Hopecroft

BINGS William Head U M 78 Day Labourer Aberdeenshire - Echt 2 rooms
BINGS Elisabeth Dau U F 36 Housekeeper Aberdeenshire - Peterculter
BINGS William Grnson - M 10m Aberdeenshire - Newhills
but no sign of wee Margaret.
Or are there multiple Elizabeth Bings in the area?

Looks as if they may have left the area/country, wee Margaret died young or she and her mother went under a different surname.

Bings is a very uncommon name and there are very few of them showing on the census records.
So maybe you should check those deaths first and try and get a connection that way.

On a side note - your signature mentions Sandend, do you know the village? it's my favourite place in the world!
Wilma

davelna

Post by davelna » Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Thank you once again. I have a feeling they never married and Margaret died young otherwise they would have cropped up in a census somewhere or other. I will keep looking.

My grandmother Johanna Sutherland was born number 50 Sandend. We have made many visits over the years. A truly magical place.

davelna

Post by davelna » Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Found death for William Boyd 26th January 1884 in Huntly, Aberdeenshire. He is recorded as being single. So I guess that confirms no marriage to Elizabeth Bings. Still unable to trace him between 1851 Census and his death in 1884.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed May 02, 2018 4:33 pm

The Elizabeth Bings who died in 1899 age 78 married James Deans in 1867. She was also registered under the names of Robbie and Reid.

Here she is in 1871 at Fernhill Cottage, Newhills

James Deans 56
Elizabeth Deans 48 born Peterculter
Will Deans 10 born Newhills

Since she has a wee William of the correct age I think this probably the same lady you have in 1861.

In 1881 and 1891 she is living at Newhills with William Reid as his wife although I can't find a marriage.

William Reid 81
Elizabeth Bings 73 born Peterculter.

The one who died in 1893 is registered only as Bings.

Regards,
Annette

davelna

Post by davelna » Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 am

Thank you. Still can`t understand why William does not appear in census for 1861, 1871 or 1881.

Best wishes