Bankruptcies

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

doddie

Bankruptcies

Post by doddie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 am

Hello,

I want to find out how bankruptcies are recorded in Scotland and where details can be viewed. The possible period concerned could be from 1905ish to 1925.

My great grandfather ran his own plumbing and gas fitting business in Ardrishaig Argyll. It was established in 1901. One of his prestigious contracts was providing the plumbing systyem for the Robert Lorimer designed Ardkinglas House, Cairndow. The story is very vague and unsubstantiated. One source states that certain unfavourable economic conditions lead to my great grandfather's company going bust during the construction of Ardkinglas House. As a result he took his own life shortly afterwards. The fact of his suicide is a matter of record but he didn't die until 1925, long after any dealings with Ardkinglas House. His company continued operating until 1994 (the year my uncle, who had run the company since 1964, retired). During its entire existence the company had traded under the same name and there weren't, as far as I can ascertain, any breaks or interuptions in its operations.

I spoke with my uncle (nearly 90, and still going strong) recently and he was adamant that the company had gone bust at some point. My late mother's version of events is different. She always maintained that though my great grandfather's business had indeed been threatened with bankruptcy some sort of deal was struck with a local bank manager (possibly a family friend) by which my great grandfather was forced to take a back seat and the running of the business passed to my grandfather. I am not sure which record of events is correct. Presumably, there must have been an official record of bankruptcies or at least a mention of such. I just wish to establish the truth of events for my family history records.

Regards

Doddie

WilmaM

Re: Bankruptcies

Post by WilmaM » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:53 am

That's an interesting story, you usually find there's a kernal of truth hidden in family legend.

This page may help you:
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/ ... on-records

The Company Registration records for Scotland, it has dissolved companies too, though some smaller companies didn't register.

Local newspaper archives could help too.
Wilma

doddie

Post by doddie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks for your prompt reply WilmaM,

I will investigate the Company Registration Records and see what I can find.

Regards

Doddie

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello Doddie,

Try the Edinburgh Gazette, search for person’s name, or company name, or an address, or whatever. Maybe he’s in the results of an Ardrishaig plumber sequestration search.
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notice ... uestration

Alan

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi Doddie,

According to an article in The Scotsman, he had been a well respected man in his local community - see below.

The Scotsman :: 04 March 1925
  • Ardrishaig plumber drowned. - After a prolonged search by the search and a number of local people, the body of Alexander Stewart, master plumber, Ardrishaig, was yesterday afternoon recovered from the Distillery Loch, among the hills beyond the village. Deceased, who was about 65 years of age, mysteriously disappeared on Saturday afternoon. He was well-known throughout Mid-Argyll, where he carried out many important contracts. In his earlier years he was much in demand as a vocalist, and he was regarded as one of the best bowlers in the district. He was predeceased by his wife some years ago, and is survived by a grown-up family.
All the best,

AndrewP

doddie

Post by doddie » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:34 am

Thanks to you both, currie and AndrewP. Yes, I have seen the cutting from the newspaper. I also have Alexander's death certificate. That is why I am puzzled by the reference to his death being connected to Ardkinglas House. This reference appears in a book that I was casually browsing through not so long ago. Alexander is name checked in a brief paragraph and his unfortunate end is attributed to his shame at his business going bust during the construction of Ardkinglas house. The relevant dates however do not make sense. I will check out the Edinburgh Gazette and see what I come up with.

Regards

Doddie

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi Doddie,

I wonder if as well as Ardinglas House, he was involved in the construction of Strone House on the Ardkinglas Estate in the 1920s. This property is believed to be built to plans made by Robert Lorimer.

See:
http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/ ... n/GDL00022

Food for thought,

AndrewP