Death Question

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Miss Poohs

Death Question

Post by Miss Poohs » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Hello everyone
Been a loooong time since my last visit.
I’ve been asked a question about two babies that died in my family - 1 in 1926 at 3 weeks old, the other in 1928 at 11 days old, what would have happened to these babies?
Would they have been buried or cremated?
Thank you for any info.
Beveridge, Bonnar, Burns,Candlin, Colquhoun, Dewar,Graham,Hislop,Jackson & Robertson.
Martin & Nelson - all Liverpool
Allison, Beaton, MacLean, McLuskie & Todd.
Grant, McEwan, McLean & Syme.

WilmaM

Re: Death Question

Post by WilmaM » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 pm

An interesting question, given the recent inquest into the disposal of infants remains in the more recent past.

My initial thought was burial, as I thought cremation was a 'modern' practise.

I checked on scan https://www.scan.org.uk/knowledgebase/t ... _topic.htm
and was surprised to find Glasgow had a crematorium as early as 1895.
Other ones around the country didn't open until the late 1930s, so I still think these wee ones would have been buried.
Scotland’s first crematorium was built in Glasgow’s Western Necropolis in 1895. Others opened in the late-1930s in Dundee, Aberdeen, Paisley, and Leith. In the 1950s and 60s municipal crematoria were built in many parts of Scotland.
Quite what the circumstances of their burial could depend on where the family lived I expect. Fiction would suggest they could be buried with an adult - related or otherwise , or a small grave dug at the top of a family lair near the headstone. But what the reality was I don't know.

Many family headstones have a list of children to the main couple, who died in infancy, but It's not always clear if that is their final resting place or if they've been added when a parent's headstone is erected.
Wilma

Miss Poohs

Post by Miss Poohs » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Thank you Wilma - I wouldn’t say they were wealthy, if that makes a difference and I suspecting would.
The first death was registered in Plantation, Glasgow the other in Anderston, Glasgow.
Very sad
Beveridge, Bonnar, Burns,Candlin, Colquhoun, Dewar,Graham,Hislop,Jackson & Robertson.
Martin & Nelson - all Liverpool
Allison, Beaton, MacLean, McLuskie & Todd.
Grant, McEwan, McLean & Syme.

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:47 pm

You may also find that they may have been buried with deceased grandparents or other close relative in a lair that the family already owned . This was certainly the case when I found two infants recorded in the lair records buried with my great grandparents.
~RJ Paton~

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Plantation folks were generally buried in Craigton or Cardonald cemeteries, but sad to say the record keeping isn't that good - though it would have been better maintained in the timescale you are looking at.

The Mitchell Library or Glasgow city archives would probably be the bet for finding out that sort of information - but probably not while we are in lockdown mode.
Wilma