Hello!

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Ryohei56

Hello!

Post by Ryohei56 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 am

Hi there. Alan Stewart from Fife here, recently joined TS.

I've been researching my family history for a while now, back to pre-internet times, and it's been quite a task. Successes, dismal failures, brick walls -all of that. Here's a brief outline of the story so far....

On the Stewart line, I got back to the 1720s and my gggg-grandad Peter Stewart. His son Robert, while in the 14th Light Dragoons, married an Englishwoman (oh the shame!). My grandad Stewart was captured on the first day of the Spring Offensive in 1918 and spent the last 6 months of the war as a P.O.W. - he was posted missing and remained so until October 1918 until word got back that he was a prisoner.

My maternal grandad, a Maxwell, was born in dubious circumstances. Of his parents, I can find almost nothing. Dead end there so far.

The best bit, though, was via my gg-grandad David Stewart. He married Mary Traill, daughter of Christian Cuthbert, whose father Robert was a 'hammerman in St. Andrews (he's buried in the Cathedral grounds). Short version - this led to the Minute Book of the Guild of Hammermen, to Fife FHS's work on the names in it, and thus to a line of ancestry tentatively going back to around 1570 or so.

It's a work in progress, but loads of fun/frustration. Thanks for letting me join, and I hope to get to know you guys better as time goes on

Alan S.

WilmaM

Re: Hello!

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am

[TS_welcome] Alan,
Good to have you with us.

The genealogy world is an ever evolving one, the information at our fingertips now was undreamed of 20 years ago, and we are ever hopeful of more coming on-line!
Wilma