Newspaper reports of recent events

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

ninatoo

Newspaper reports of recent events

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 12, 2023 11:09 am

Hi everyone,

A long time between requests, haha, but I do read here often.

I have an event that I think might have been reported on in 2004. It was rather a tragic event.

Is there anywhere I can search online? Or is there anyone willing to take a look at the Glasgow papers for me?

I don't want to put any details here as of course there is liviing family out there and I don't want to distress them, but if you want to know more please PM me.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

WilmaM

Re: Newspaper reports of recent events

Post by WilmaM » Fri May 12, 2023 2:45 pm

Have you had a quick 'google' yourself?
The Glasgow Herald Archives don't go that for and the BNA currently only seem to cover Irish papers at that point.

I hope somebody is visiting the Mitchell library soon and can check out what they have.
Or if you have firm dates try contacting the newspapers direct:
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/
https://www.heraldscotland.com/
are the two main newspapers for the city now.

If it was a 'big' news item, The Scotsman may have featured it.
They have selected items in archives : https://www.scotsman.com/archive [though I can't actually see any of them] ](*,)
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri May 12, 2023 6:40 pm

WilmaM wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 2:45 pm
They have selected items in archives : https://www.scotsman.com/archive [though I can't actually see any of them] ](*,)
I picked on one sample date in 2004. There were nine headlines there to click on. Five led to articles; the remaining four ended at a 'page not found' error page.

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri May 12, 2023 6:59 pm

I obviously just chose the wrong ones to investigate on the different years I tried! #-o
Wilma

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat May 13, 2023 4:10 am

Thanks Wilma and Andrew,
Wilma, yes I did google but to no avail! Perhaps it never made the papers due to its delicate subject matter. Or it could have been seen to be upsetting for those involved.

Thanks for looking Andrew - that is a good site, though limited a bit. Nothing showed up on the date.

I hope someone can look for me at some point!

Thanks again,
Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun May 14, 2023 12:25 am

Hello Nina,

From the mid 1990s, or whenever, newspapers began to introduce new processes using word processors, or whatever, and these newspaper archives can sometimes be accessed in digital form. Factiva is one resource that makes these available.

Factiva is available online via the State Library of NSW. I’m not sure about the other Australian State Libraries or the National Library.
https://eresources.sl.nsw.gov.au/factiva

Also available via the National Library of Scotland.
https://auth.nls.uk/eresources/browse/category/99

Personal notices and advertising are supposed to not be included, but I have seen death notices therein, so may be the luck of the draw

For example, searching for “gorbals” brings up in:

Evening Times, approx. 3500 results dated from year 2000 to 2023..
The Herald, approx. 1900 results dated from year 1993 to 2023.

And so on.

See how you go and let me know if you need a hand.

All the best,
Alan

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun May 14, 2023 12:47 pm

Hi Alan,
Thanks so much for your post. I did try to create a membership with the NSW library, but no go as I don't live in NSW. I was able to create an account with the NLS but can't look at anything because I am not a resident of Scotland. There doesn't seem to be access at the Victorian state library to factiva at all, exept if you are a select member of a university group. So my hands are tied from where I am. I hope someone can look for em who is better placed int he world, haha!

Nina

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun May 14, 2023 1:57 pm

Hello Nina,

I'm available. Just send me the details in a PM and I'll do the deed.

Alan

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri May 26, 2023 8:27 am

Thanks Alan!

Will do shortly!

Nina

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat May 27, 2023 1:27 am

Hello Nina,

I tried my best but didn’t have any luck with the search. The records are just digital entries rather than scanned pages and there doesn’t appear to be any way of browsing to find all entries on a specific date.

All the best,
Alan