Does Anyone Know How I can Change Dollars into Pounds

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

sheilajim

Does Anyone Know How I can Change Dollars into Pounds

Post by sheilajim » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi All

Does anyone know how I can change dollars into pounds from the USA?

The Renfrewshire Council Local Library has PoorHouse info on my GGrandfather. They told me that they will mail the info to me if I send them a check or money order for £ 5.00. They will not accept dollars. I went to the bank and they said that they could not make out a money order in £s. I can't write a personal check in £s either only Dollars. They won't accept a Credit Card either. :?

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to my problem?

Regards,
Sheila

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi Sheila,

Try calling AAA (American Automobile Association) and see if they have any suggestions? I also know that Citizen's Bank will sell a bank draft, but its $25. Or maybe you could send the pounds to SKS in Paisley and then they could pay the fee on your behalf?

Regards
Marilyn

Jack

Dollars to Pounds

Post by Jack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi Sheila,
If you wish, i could give the library my own cheque for £5.
Please just say.
Jack

Bob C

Re: Does Anyone Know How I can Change Dollars into Pounds

Post by Bob C » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 pm

sheilajim wrote:
Does anyone know how I can change dollars into pounds from the USA?

Regards,
Try calling Wells Fargo

1 SAN CLEMENTE
601 N EL CAMINO REAL
SAN CLEMENTE, CA 92672-4762
Tel: 949-492-1196

This is a location that has an international teller site and they can advise you.

Bob C
Searching for Baillie in
Kettle, Collessie, Auchtermuchty and Markinch Fife
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:58 am

Hi Everybody,

I was out and just got back home, and checked into TS. TS is wonderful, some many friendly people. [talkingscot] Thank you all for your advice and offers of help.

Thank you Jack for your offer. O:) If you send me your address, I will mail you a check in Dollars for your five pounds, plus money for your inconvenience.

Cheers,
Sheila

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:08 am

Hi Shiela

Although you have already solved this problem through that kind man Jack. I solved this problem when I was purchasing some CD's by using PayPal it does have a small fee attached but it solved the problem I had, getting a foreign bank draft was prohibitively expensive. :shock:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Too late but....................I posted dollars (cash) to The Boston Library for some printouts they sent me.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Stew & Tracy,

I know about Paypal, but the library was very insistent that they would only accept a check or moneyorder made out in pounds. :( So far I have been unable to find a bank locally that will make out a money order in pounds.

Regards
Sheila

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:41 am

Aye weel ..... I'm probably too late, but you could have transferred the $ to me on PayPal, but in the knowledge of the % that PayPal would charge me to transfer the $ amount to my sterling account, so that you'd adjusted the $ amount accordingly, and then I'd have written a sterling cheque to put into the letter that you had sent to me to have forwarded to Renfrewshire Council Local Library ................

David

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi David

Thanks to Jack the matter has been resolved. :D Imagine all this trouble for five pounds. It is too bad that a direct deposit couldn't be used, but as far as I am aware of it is not done internationally.

Regards
Sheila