Does Anyone Know How I can Change Dollars into Pounds

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

melody

dollars to pounds

Post by melody » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Problem solved for this time but here's a suggestion for the future. How about the post office?Don't know if this helps because I live in Canada. When I need to pay a researcher in the U.K. who doesn't accept credit cards I get a money order at the local post office which is cheaper than an money order at the bank, although at least our banks will do money orders in Pounds, but for 5 pounds you pay more for the money order than the money.
A lot of these place say they won't take credit cards because they lose money on the transaction. I wonder they don't just charge a surcharge on credit card orders?
Melody
mlm

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi Melody

Good Point, I will have to think of the future. You would think that they would put a surcharge on their cost for credit cards and any extra charges that they might get. I am sure that this is what happens when we buy something from another country. I have bought some things from as far away as Australia and there has never been any problem with my Credit Card.

I don't know whether or not the US Postal Service has Money Orders, and if it does, if they will make them out in Pounds. Thank you for mentioning is, it is something that I will look into.

Regards
Sheila

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi Sheila,

For next time you need to send money overseas.

Does California have "Shaw's" supermarkets out there? I just heard on the radio that Shaw's will send a "money gram" any where in the world for just $3.

Regards
Marilyn

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Hi Sheila

I'm afraid you can't use postal drafts from the US, only Canada. Don't know why but it's a real nuisance.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:10 pm

DavidWW wrote:Aye weel ..... I'm probably too late, but you could have transferred the $ to me on PayPal, but in the knowledge of the small % that PayPal would charge me to transfer the $ amount to my sterling account, so that you'd adjusted the $ amount accordingly, and then I'd have written a sterling cheque to put into the letter that you had sent to me to have forwarded to Renfrewshire Council Local Library ................

David
As long as I'm not overwhelmed with such requests, I have have no problem with this method.

David

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Hi Marilyn & Muriel,

That is too bad about Postal Money Orders not being acceptable from the U.S. I just looked it up on the computer, and Muriel, you are right. For some reason Britain, including Scotland is not on the list for USPS Money Orders. :o

Marilyn I am afraid that as far as I know, we don't have Shaw's Stores in California, so I guess that it is back to the drawing board or maybe David's PayPal. :) The problem is that I don't want to be a nuisance to anyone.

Regards
Sheila

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:20 pm

No friends in Canda who could do the necessary with a postal draft? I expect it's possible to transfer money there relatively easily.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.