Glasgow Opportunity

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Keatley

Glasgow Opportunity

Post by Keatley » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:16 am

Hi,
I am visiting Glasgow in 2 weeks time on business(from England)
I'm so excited about visiting the great city, the city of my father and his father's birth.
Glasgow is the main city of focus throughout my tree, but I have never visited as an adult.
Unfortunately I will only be able to carry out any reseach after 6pm so very limited.
My family line originates from Ireland to Greenock to Cathcart/Hutchesontown/Govan
How realistic is it for me to carry out any research in this limited period?
Is it feasible to take a taxi from cental Glasgow to view Calder Street, Wolseley Street etc?
I realise the Mitchell library closes at 8, so I could possibly get a couple of hours in there at night?
Travelling up from North East England on the Monday..thinking about taking in Greenock on route?...maybe too ambitious?

Any advice would be more than welcome.
Paul

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:49 am

Hi Paul

Both of the streets you mentioned are fairly close to the town centre so a visit would not be too much of a problem except that large chunks of the older houses/tenements in the gorbals area have been knocked down and repalced by modern housing blocks. some of these have, in their turn, now been demolished and replaced by lower density low rise housing. I don't know if this applies to these particular streets.
As far as the Mitchell is concerned a couple of hours would still give some researcg time as their systems are pretty straightforward and it is almost in the middle of Glasgow in terms of access.
If you are travelling up by car Greenock is a bit further on from Glasgow so would require a further half hours drive to reach it find where you are looking for then turn around and drive back.
Again parts of the old Greenock and Port Glasgow have been razed and new build work is still in progress. More of the old town still exists compared to the Gorbals though.
If you are coming up by train there is a frequent, and pretty reliable train service to Greenock from Central Station.
Hope you manage to squeeze some worthwhile research time in alongside the sightseeing plans.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

emamc

Glasgow Opportunity

Post by emamc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Paul

Just a thought - Monday 24th September is a holiday in Glasgow and the Mitchell along with most libraries will be closed. Hope this does not cause you too many problems.

emamc
Researching names: McQuade; Lynn; McSporran; Sweeney; Madden; Smith; McIlvaine; Burns; Burgess; McFarlane; Deignan; Barr; McMurchie: Dumbarton/Glasgow/Campbeltown/Co Tyrone, Monaghan, Down, Derry and Donegal

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi Paul,

It also depends on what kind of research you plan to do.

Although the archive room is open till 8pm Monday - Thursday records are only available to view on a Tuesday and Thursday after 5pm.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... ningHours/

If you plan well it should be possible. What kind of records are you hoping to access?

Like Russell said - if it's the higher numbers of Calder Street you are looking to see then most of that area has changed quite a lot over the last few years.

Regards,
Annette M

Keatley

Post by Keatley » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:33 am

Thanks so much for all the info, it's been very helpfull.
I'll be working till around 6 each evening so won't leave me much time.
I will have to pioritise what I want to do.(looking at BDM up to present day..taking over where SP stops!)
Thanks again,
Paul
http://www.keatleyhistory.co.uk

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi Paul,

If you manage to get to Greenock, try to get to the Watt Library, they have a lot of information there, including census records.

The address is:

9 Union St
Greenock,

Phone Number: 1475 715628

Where in Greenock did the ancestors come from? We have a few members here who originate from Greenock who may be able to help.

Ina

Keatley

Post by Keatley » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi Ina,
Unfortunately it looks like the trip to Greenock may have to wait a while as i've been asked to go to Glasgow earlier.
In Greenock i have addresses at 5 Hill St, 62 Drumtrochar Road, and 11 Royal St(Gourock)
My Gt Grandfather(Thomas George Keatley - spelt Keatly on his marr cert) came to Greenock (bet 1881 and 1885) from Ireland.
He was living in Drumtrochar Rd when he married, and was working in a woolen mill.
I can't find any record of him in the 1881 census, so presume he arrived after that time.
The family had moved to Hutchesontown by 1891.
Thanks
Paul
http://www.keatleyhistory.co.uk