Glasgow today - where to stay

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Andrew C.

Post by Andrew C. » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:24 pm

I had my daughters Christening in the Central hotel and a few of us stayed the night, thought it was okay for the money. If you want to be near the Mitchell there are plenty hotels B&B's in the West End or parallel to Sauchiehall Street. If you run the hotel or location by us I am sure we can give you good advice.

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:33 pm

If you have the time, try and get some time at Provand's Lordship, a wee house in Castle Street, near Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
This sounds wonderful. I'll have to check it out. Thanks :)

Annette, great ideas, thanks. My fingers are crossed that at least a little of the Glasgow my gggrandparents knew will still be there. As for the rest, I'm saving this thread in my trip file so I can refer to all these ideas.

G. Love, a bit of shopping (well, browsing, given the exchange!) is definitely in the cards. Thanks.

Andrew, thanks for the suggestion. I will post when I have some specific places in mind.

Thanks, all. I really appreciate your help and suggestions. :D

Kathy
Researching MacLeans, MacRaes, and MacKenzies of Torridon and Shieldaig, MacKenzies and Frasers of Ballindalloch

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:24 pm

kathyc wrote: G. Love, a bit of shopping (well, browsing, given the exchange!) is definitely in the cards. Thanks.
Shopping is looking up! :wink:
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

kathyc

Post by kathyc » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:50 pm

I know! My sister phoned me just now to tell me I should go and buy some pounds today. :D
Researching MacLeans, MacRaes, and MacKenzies of Torridon and Shieldaig, MacKenzies and Frasers of Ballindalloch

mean_genie

Post by mean_genie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:12 pm

The People's Palace museum is a great place to visit, and your daughter should enjoy it too. The whole history of Glasgow under one roof, even including a 'single end'.
I took an English friend there and she was impressed, even when we had to brave the rain and sleet that was blowing sideways across Glasgow Green to get there!

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Kathy
Also worth a visit is the tenement house - just to understand the type of house many people used to live in not so long ago.
http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/59/Details/

Best wishes
Lesley