Poke hat

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Re: Poke hat

Post by HeatherH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 pm

I remember going to our local corner store with pennies for a pokey hat from my Mum and getting such strange looks. Probably because I was in Newfoundland. I couldn't understand why they didn't know I wanted an Ice Cream. It's what we always called them at home. I soon learned I had to translate from words we used at home to those used in town. Same problem when Mum sent me for a pound of mince at the butchers. But, luckily they soon got used to us and our strange words lol.
Anne I have enjoyed quite a few pokey hats from Nardini's in Largs. Yum.
I recently found out my Great Aunt's father was an Ice Cream maker when he immigrated from Italy to England.
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Poke hat

Post by paddyscar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:11 am

Same here in Ontario, Heather. Mum sent me to the little neighbourhood grocer and they said they didn't have any 'mince' and I was standing there looking at it in the refrigerated display case. Another time I had been sent for tea to the same store. I asked if I could call home, because the only tea they had was 'orange pekoe' and we drank brown tea at home. Mum chuckled and so we had tea with our supper afterall!

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow