a guid feed

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

iluvu2

a guid feed

Post by iluvu2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:47 pm

I remember wehen I was wee the grown ups were seated at midnight eating steakpie tatties and peas as the bells sounded at midnight,the women wanted the men to have a good feed before first footing to soak up the booze probably,and it ended up in someones house and having a good old singsong
It's a beautiful day!

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:36 am

Sounds much like our house on Hogmanay, only without the tatties :lol: I used to love it...the whole house had to be cleaned, yourself included, all dolled up with your best clothes on waiting to ring in the New Year. Everybody came to our house for the party and we used to be up all night...it was great :lol:

How I miss those days...although, I'm not sure I would be able to stay up all night long these days :!:

Regards,
Anne H

Andrew C.

Post by Andrew C. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:54 pm

You could always introduce them to our American cousins! Throw a hogmany party and show some good old fashioned Scots hospitality with all the customs that go with it.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:03 pm

Good idea Andrew :) although, the people I know are usually all tucked up in bed and fast asleep long before "The Bells" :)

Regards,
Anne H

emanday
Global Moderator

Re: a guid feed

Post by emanday » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:17 am

iluvu2 wrote:I remember wehen I was wee the grown ups were seated at midnight eating steakpie tatties and peas as the bells sounded at midnight,the women wanted the men to have a good feed before first footing to soak up the booze probably,and it ended up in someones house and having a good old singsong
Aaah! Memories, memories!

The order for the steak pies from the ONLY butcher acceptable was collected and the tatties peeled and ready! The peas had been cooked the day before (they had to be cooked at least one day before to be "right").

The women of the family all in the kitchen preparing everything so that it would be ready right on time, then the whole family sitting down to the most delicious feast!

Yum!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

iluvu2

Post by iluvu2 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:47 am

hahaha Anne the young ones are just getting ready to go out at that time now, aye it was different days then, I remember my Dadplaying Mario Lanza and trying to sing along to him,someone had given some very old 78,s and he played them up full so the neighbours could hear them,imagine if you did that now we would all get an asbo....lol :P
It's a beautiful day!

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 am

iluvu2 wrote:hahaha Anne the young ones are just getting ready to go out at that time now, aye it was different days then
Indeed it was!

While we were single and living at home we weren't allowed out before the "bells" - bad luck apparently!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:30 am

iluvu2 wrote:
someone had given some very old 78,s and he played them up full so the neighbours could hear them,imagine if you did that now we would all get an asbo....lol
:lol: :lol: ...well around here, the police would be quick to come along knocking on your door, I think :shock: :shock:

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:03 am

Memories! memories! The first time I took my husband (he's a Yorkshireman) home to meet the family for New Year. He couldn't understand that we weren't 'going somewhere'. "I thought you people celebrated bigtime!" He kept saying. At about two minutes to midnight, Mum asked him to take the ashes down to the midden.
"Please son! That's very good o'ye!" He was sixfoot and had lovely dark hair. All our lot were redheads and had bums a bit low to the ground. As soon as he was out the door Mum locked it behind him.
He wasn't allowed back in before the bells. He stood outside banging on the door, freezing cold. Well! he hadn't put aa coat on just to go to the midden.
By one o'clock he was well drunk, by half past two, he was sober again (so he said), and drove us to the other side of Glasgow to first foot my step-sister.
He never argued again about whether we Scots knew how to celebrate 'big time'.
That was a long time ago. Even the New Year is not like it used to be.
A' the best tae yeez a'! Lang may yer lum reek!
Wee Ann
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland