Happy Mother's Day

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

joette
Global Moderator

Happy Mother's Day

Post by joette » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:17 am

It is Mothers Day today in the UK this weekend this is a wee tribute to my own dear Mum who is at present in hospital following a stroke this week.Feeling very emotional.
My first & best memories are of my Mum.my elder sister & my Auntie Jennifer & Uncles Gordon & Alex.My Dad & Grandpa feature in my later ones. My first concious memory is at aged 13 months lying in a green cot & not being able to lift my arms(which were tied to the cot) No not a recovered memory of abuse I was in Yorkhill hospital after being badly scalded & my hands were tied to prevent me touching/scratching my burns. In those days parents were not allowed to stay-in fact they were only allowed to visit three times a week & you had to have a Visitor's card.My Mum was there every visiting-she had my sister,Dad,Father & her siblings to look after too.Despite the fact she could only gaze through the glass at me she was there.despite the fact that I refused to look at her until it was time to leave when my screams would follow her down the Ward"Mummmy,Mummmmmmmmmmy" She still was there next visiting.When I returned after six weeks I refused to look at her & if I fell it was my dad or Granny or Grandpa or Auntie who I went to.Mum hid her hurt & carried on until the day I smiled at her & held my arms up to be cuddled.
That's the kind of Mum she is-she comes last her children & grandchildren & great-children are at the heart of her being.She is a Mum from her inner self to her outer smiley face & ample cuddly bosom.Always a young looking smartly dressed & always took great pride in herself & her surroundings.Her house clean,tidy & organised.We never went hungry-I know she did especially when my elder sister & I were little.I know she sacrificed herself for her family always giving 110%.She instilled in us a pride in ourselves & in our heritage-Waddells were a fine family to come from.She taught us about Robert Burns & William Wallace & Robert the Bruce(her hero).She read Jack London books to us & Little Dorrit & the Old Curiosity Shop. She made up stories & songs & poems.She cooked & baked the most fabulous food.She would take us out in all weathers & make sure we had plenty of fresh air & exercise.Saved up so that we could have treats & made memories & traditions-like Lewis to see Santa & George's Square for the Christmas lights.She made us girls glad that we were women & the boys she guided into manhood & made a great job of doing it herself after Daddy died. She would join in our childish games with a glee & an enthusiasm which made us laugh.
She is honest & kind & patient & spoiled us rotten.We knew we were loved & adored.
Tonight my wee Mummy lies in hospital scared & sick & out of control of her future in many ways.My Mum has had to fight all of her life through it all she has never lost her sweet gentle caring self,her inquiring mind,her discretion & ability to keep a confidence-she would never trash a reputation or say a bad word about anybody.
I am so glad that I have had such a wonderful Mum.She has always had her door open for us but always encouraged us to flex our wings.
Happy Mothers Day.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

nancy

Re: Happy Mother's Day

Post by nancy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:38 pm

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all.

Hi Joette,my thoughts and prayers are with your Mum,and whole family.
When my late hubby had a stroke he too was very frightened and confused,but theres such a lot more medication out there now.Only permanent reminder of Bruce's stroke was sometimes he said he instead of she and when trying to use pc,letters were in wrong order,but other than that he made a good recovery,but unfortunately died of cancer 11 yrs later.Modern medication kept any future strokes he may have had at bay.
Give your mum a big kiss from me Joette and she is in my prayers.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Joette,

What lovely memories of your Mum, she sounds like a wonderful human being. Your Mum and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Regards,
Anne H

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Happy Mother's Day, Ladies!

Especially, Joette's mom.

Regards
Marilyn

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Happy Mother's Day to all your Mums! I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for your Mum, Joette. You certainly know how to tell your stories, and thanks for letting us read them.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Dear Joette

My thoughts and prayers are with your mum and your family. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks all she is doing well-her mobility has if anything improved-my brother thinks maybe some pain receptors have been damaged & she in less pain from her arthritis & spondolytis .Her speech seems to be the only problem-she speaks gibberish but is starting to be aware of that & is trying to correct herself.
She's complaining of being bored & fretting to be at home.Thank goodness for all the ads on TV which alerted my brother & niece to what had happened.
It's a scary time especially as I can't see her for myself for a couple of weeks.
I appreciate all your kind thoughts & prayers.Nancy thanks for the words of encouragement & I will give her a hug from you too.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins