New Member - First Post

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Michael Jones

New Member - First Post

Post by Michael Jones » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 am

I am an American who is keenly interested in his Scottish roots and am planning to visit Scotland in August. My great grandfather, George Curr, emigrated to Canada in 1856 and later moved to the United States where he owned a large farm (called Star Hill Farm) in South Dakota. His father, Thomas Curr, and his mother, Ann Curr, are listed in the 1841 census as living with their 6 children in Star Hill, Cairnie Parish, Aberdeenshire. The census also indicates that Thomas Curr was “born outside census county.”
According to the book “The Kirkyard of Cairnie” by Sheila M Spiers, the following memorial exists in the churchyard:
In memoriam. THOMAS CURR Star Hill d. 30 Nov. 1862 aged 65, his wife ANN MURRAY d. 17 Dec. 1887 aged 84. MARY CURR d. 18 June 1852 aged 24, ALEXANDER CURR d. 12 May 1871 aged 25. James CURR d. 26 Jan. 1914 aged 78 also his wife Eliza Milne d. Fochabers 24 July 1930 aged 79.
Based on the memorial, I presume Ann Curr’s maiden name was Murray. There are other memorials to Murrays in the kirkyard but I cannot find any connection with Ann.
The above is everything I know about my family in Scotland.
Is there a kind soul who can help me learn more of my family? Thank you.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: New Member - First Post

Post by AndrewP » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 am

Hi Michael,

[TS_welcome]

You can download Thomas and Ann Curr's death certificates from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk on a pay-per-view basis. These should give the names of their parents and get you a generation further back on each line. The death certificates of the younger Currs should be available there too.

As they were all born pre-1855, the start of statutory registration in Scotland, there won't be birth certificates for them. There may be entries in the Old Parochioal Registers (OPRs). These are also available to download from ScotlandsPeople.

All the best,

AndrewP

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 am

Michael Jones wrote:I am an American who is keenly interested in his Scottish roots and am planning to visit Scotland in August. My great grandfather, George Curr, emigrated to Canada in 1856 and later moved to the United States where he owned a large farm (called Star Hill Farm) in South Dakota. His father, Thomas Curr, and his mother, Ann Curr, are listed in the 1841 census as living with their 6 children in Star Hill, Cairnie Parish, Aberdeenshire. The census also indicates that Thomas Curr was “born outside census county.”
According to the book “The Kirkyard of Cairnie” by Sheila M Spiers, the following memorial exists in the churchyard:
In memoriam. THOMAS CURR Star Hill d. 30 Nov. 1862 aged 65, his wife ANN MURRAY d. 17 Dec. 1887 aged 84. MARY CURR d. 18 June 1852 aged 24, ALEXANDER CURR d. 12 May 1871 aged 25. James CURR d. 26 Jan. 1914 aged 78 also his wife Eliza Milne d. Fochabers 24 July 1930 aged 79.
Based on the memorial, I presume Ann Curr’s maiden name was Murray. There are other memorials to Murrays in the kirkyard but I cannot find any connection with Ann.
Hi Michael

It looks to me like most of George's siblings remained in Scotland. The 1851 census shows 3 more compared with 1841.

It's relatively straightforward in the Scottish records to trace forward to living relatives, of whom you could well have plenty !

I'll send you a PM with some comments.

mb

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:41 am

Hello Michael,

Just some odds and ends.

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, November 30, 1853.
A short item about a ploughing match in Glass and Cairnie. Fifth prize went to James Carr [sic], farmer’s son, Starhill, Cairnie. In the same newspaper in 1877 and 1882 there’s also mention of a James Curr from Starhill winning similar prizes.

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, December 26, 1866.
Cattle, Sheep, and Horse Markets, Huntly. Messrs Keith bought from Messrs Curr, Starhill, a quey at ₤13. [that’s a heifer]

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, Thursday, October 30, 1884.
There’s a full page article about the presentation of a portrait to the Duke of Richmond and Gordon by his tenantry. There was a luncheon afterwards and among the huge list of those who attended was James Curr, of Starhill.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal, Thursday, December 22, 1887.
CAIRNEY—Man Severely Injured by a Horse—On Monday morning, James Curr (55), crofter, residing at Strathill [sic again], parish of Cairney, while standing in the smithy of Alexander Wilson, Huntley, was kicked by a horse on the left side, whereby four of his ribs were broken. He also sustained severe internal injuries. Curr was at once conveyed to an adjoining house and seen by Dr Thomson, Church Street, Huntley, who is of opinion that the man is somewhat dangerously hurt. http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... l-Curr.jpg

And just a note that the pre 1855 Old Parish Registers (OPRs) for the Parish of Cairney only contain Births and Marriages, Deaths were not recorded in that Parish.

All the best,
Alan

wmacleod07

Post by wmacleod07 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Michael Jones wrote:I am an American who is keenly interested in his Scottish roots and am planning to visit Scotland in August. My great grandfather, George Curr, emigrated to Canada in 1856 and later moved to the United States where he owned a large farm (called Star Hill Farm) in South Dakota. His father, Thomas Curr, and his mother, Ann Curr, are listed in the 1841 census as living with their 6 children in Star Hill, Cairnie Parish, Aberdeenshire. The census also indicates that Thomas Curr was “born outside census county.”
Hello Michael.
George was the younger brother of James my great great grandfather. Thank you to Alan posting below for further info on Starhill. I have some further info on Thomas' father and mother so will p.m you.

WM

swontgirl

Post by swontgirl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi,
I was doing a google search for Starhill and found this post. I was so excited as I have never found it online before. I live in Canada and have been researching my Anderson family roots for many years. I just recently got going on it again after finding the family on the 1861 census of Canada. I knew where they were ion 1871 and afterwards but had never known where they went when they arrived. I had been pretty sure but not positive that they were connected to George Curr of Oxford county. Amazingly the 1861 census I found indicated that my great grandfather James Anderson and his older sister Elizabeth were born in Oxford county so I am now more sure of the connection to George. James and Elizabeths' parents were William Anderson b. Kennethmont Aberdeenshire and Amelia Curr b. Starhill in Cairnie. Amelia is the older sister of George.
I also believe another sister, Isabella Curr married to James Innes ( a native of (Kennethmont) immigrated to Oxford County and remained there until her death.
William and Amelia married in the spring of 1854 in Cairnie and were in Oxford before March of 1855 when Elizabeth was born so I am thinking they left in 1854.
Michael- I wonder what makes you think George Curr came in 1856? I have never found any ship information for William and Amelia. I have often wondered if there was much emmigration info in the Scottish newspapers?
I would be interested in connecting with those of you who are related and exchanging information.
Debbie

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:46 am

Hello Debbie
[TS_welcome]
This topic was from last year. I am sure that if the people have the same email address they will get notification of your post and reply.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

swontgirl

Post by swontgirl » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 am

Thanks Stewie,
I am still trying to figure this out. Who will get an email when I post?
Debbie

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 am

Anyone who has posted in this topic will get a notification :)
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

swontgirl

Post by swontgirl » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:58 am

Okay, but I didn't get a notification that you posted. Hmmm!

Debbie