Yer Mither Tongue

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Davie

Yer Mither Tongue

Post by Davie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Greetin's aw
Frae the saicont City o ' the Empire.
Ah wiz oan here the day, gassin' wey Ted, an' gote tae thinkin' aboot how usyins wid blether wey wan anither oan this site, in ther so cawed "Mither Tongue"
I would be interested in getting sayings frae yer auld grannie, granda, mither or faither, that yeese kid mind.
Let's here frae yeese North, South, East and West
Disnae maiter if yoose ur livin the day in the Colonies.
Oany wee snippit wull be appreciatit, aprreciatted, apreciated.
How cum we dinnie huv a spellcheck oan TS?
That aside, I will start of us off with the term "Trainer" as in running shoe.
In Glasgow we would used the term " Sannie"
Well, it's a start.
Naemer drink fawr me the night.
Davie

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:52 pm

Hi Davie

In East Lothian they were 'Gutties'.

My east coast grannie, when asked what the soup was would say "there's peas intult, carrots intult, leeks intult. It took years to figure that peas were 'into it.
When we asked for bread at the baker's van you asked for a half-loaf and were given what some now call a Scotch loaf (plain bread). They were baked in pairs and you got half of the pair.

We did this a while back and it ran forever but there was loads more to come and newer folk can relearn the 'mither tongue'.
I hope somebody takes a note of the posts.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:35 pm

:P

That makes me remember the City Bakery van, I'd be sent out for a plain or a pan loaf......you can just imagine the looks when I moved to downtown Bognor and started asking for that :wink:

Even now, 24 years on, I still stop myself because I'm not sure if a word I'm about to use is Scottish or English!

Another is going for the "messages".

Oh "Wallies" for your falsies, "Oxter", being a bit "Wabbit"....oh I'm using up more than my fair share here...."Am-nae or Amn't" they're good ones I got picked up on for using down here.

Funnily enough my midwife didnae understand me when I explained I had the "dry boak" and the "scunners".....they call it morning sickness down here but that doesnae describe it!

Donna
x

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:07 pm

I used to work for a vet in Glasgow and her mother, originally from Brazil, loved the old expression "haud ma shaw tae a bash er".

She was also amused by our tendency to say an item was "sitting on the table/chair, etc..." and always finished the sentence for us with "danglin its legs". All this is a gorgeous Brazilian accent!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi Folks

Where I wiz brought up on the north coast of West Lothian - a drain cover was called a 'Gundie' - the number 11 pronounced eeeeleeevin - trainers were gutties. My personal favourite was frae my old man when I wiz a kid - "rickt that's it there's a belt roon the lug due fur yi" (q for a hasty exit - I could run faster than him).

Donna - laft ma heid aff at the 'dry boak' - tried it a few times !!

Thanks for the laffs

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 pm

There's just no good equivalent for the "dry boak"....it is what it is. :D

Ted, you made me laugh with the belt one, I still tell my boys that they'll have their "heid in ther hawns tae play wi" or "I'll take ma hawn aff yer face" or "you'll be laughing on the other side of your face".

You can take the girl out of Glasgow but you can't take Glasgow out the girl. :wink:

Donna
x

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:20 pm

That wis a stoater Donna.

I used to translate for the doctors when a bloke came in with a boil on his finger and said "Ma fingers loupin Doaktur"

The usual was
"Ma legs broke!"
Reply "Mine's worser, its frachurred"

Both required a Stookie regardless.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:43 am

As a previous thread earlier this year will testify, when I was getting some help from our esteemed census/poor relief man Jack.

I had a really bad dose of the "skitters" as a christmas present :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:15 am

How about "gie the dug a clap" ! - I've often wondered whether anyone who doesn't understand ever has done just that to the great amusement of others !!

See http://www.firstfoot.com/php/glossary/p ... p?letter=c

David

PS This site, now bookmarked and added to my favourites, is brilliant not just for classical dialect and slang, but current versions as well.
dww

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:54 am

I don't think Russell's stookie wid fix those skitters, Stew.

Following on with the medical theme, how else do you describe a "Stoon" at the dentist. It's got so much more feeling than "toothache".

That's what I love about our words they sound like they feel.

I'm awa aff fer a wee footer before taking the bairns tae school now.

Cheerio
Donna
x