Yer Mither Tongue

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

laineywoo

mither tongue

Post by laineywoo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:14 pm

I was at a friends house near Aberdeen last year. Her 7 year old son came in and started reading his new poem from school. I'm feart to mention the word as it has completely different meaning here. If I say he was talking about an owl.......does that have anyone else roaring with laughter at what I thought he was talking about?
Lainey
searching for Jacks, Williamsons, Maxwells, Wardlaws, Hardies, Bennies, Kays, Bruce, Sneddon, Dougall and Galloway all mainly Polmont and Muiravonside areas - basically all families from Polmont!!

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:34 pm

:?
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Davie

Post by Davie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Guid stuff all,
I am interested in wur dialect, and have a few old tv programmes on disk
“The Vital Spark” is now on DVD.
The topic came up when a few kids were visiting Mount Flo.
The term "Fer Forfockin" (my spelling) came up.
In my world, if you mention a saying like this to a cronie, ye get the fawl bifter oan the subject.
In this case a book came through the door this morn, with sayings frae the NE.
Forfochin, I read, means tired.
Mind you, I thought Ted's
Ahm fer forfockin" - I gie near chockit on ma wallies when ah hert that yin - weans eh!! It mibbie means "I find that particular young man somewhat attractive" is they wid say in Embrra!
Was plausible, and funny, but, then ah’m a Weegie.

That makes me remember the City Bakery van, I'd be sent out for a plain or a pan loaf......you can just imagine the looks when I moved to downtown Bognor and started asking for that
The above frae Donna, brought tae mind this wee dittie

1. Have you ever thought when a hearse goes by
That some day you are gonnae die?
Whooo oooooo ooooo oooo

2. They wrap ye up in a nice clean shirt
An cover ye ower wi stanes and dirt.
Whooo oooooo ooooo oooo

3. And the worms crawl in and the worms crawl out;
They crawl in thin and they crawl out stout.
Whooo oooooo ooooo oooo

4. And they bring their friends and relatives too;
My God, what a mess they make of you!
Whooo oooooo ooooo oooo

5. Your hair fa's oot and your teeth fa' in,
And your eyes come dribblin' doon your chin.
Whooo oooooo ooooo oooo

6. And if you think this tale's a lie,
Just try a City Bakeries pie
Whooo oooooo ooooo oooo

Davie
Last edited by Davie on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi all

These posts hiv me in stitches an ah kin never get enuff eh thim. Ah recently went tae Pittenweem oan eh East Coast an ah hid been in eh pub (no like me) an decidit tae go tae the Ice Cream shop jist alang eh road. Ah asked eh wummin ahind the bar if she wahnted a 'pokey hat' an she looked at me as if ah wis stupit or sumhin. Ah thought pokey hat wis a general term in Scotland but there ye go - it isnae. Ither hings come tae mind like when ma sister went doon South fur eh first time an asked fur a pun eh 'links' an mair recently when a pal eh mine went doon there fur a holiday wi her sister an she said tae her brother in law ah'm just goin fur a wee donner and he said could ye get me a shish kebab while yer there :?

Ah luv it - keep em comin

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

laineywoo

mither tongue

Post by laineywoo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Mary
You looked confused by my post :lol: If I say the Doric word for an owl is hoolit are you any closer to my meaning??
Lainey
searching for Jacks, Williamsons, Maxwells, Wardlaws, Hardies, Bennies, Kays, Bruce, Sneddon, Dougall and Galloway all mainly Polmont and Muiravonside areas - basically all families from Polmont!!

Davie

Post by Davie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:14 pm

Again all,
I have noticed that a few o' yeese huv yer "Location" , which belies yer origins.
Ah'm I right here or a dessert made wey whipped cream and sugar?

Oan the ice cream front.
Huv oany o' yeese offered yer visitors a 99?

Davie

sporran

Re: owls

Post by sporran » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:36 pm

Hello Lainey,

a few years ago I had responsibility, among other things, for the factory sirens that indicated starting, finishing, tea breaks, and lunch times. After sorting out a problem with them, I sent an e-mail to several people with the title "hooters". This caused some amusement.

I was innocent then, only in my 40s.

Regards,

John

emanday
Global Moderator

Re: mither tongue

Post by emanday » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:56 pm

laineywoo wrote:Mary
You looked confused by my post :lol: If I say the Doric word for an owl is hoolit are you any closer to my meaning??
Lainey
:?

OK, so I've lived a sheltered life (who am I kidding :oops: )
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Oh Davie & Annette,

Seeing your posts about 99 & Pokey Hats made me laugh I embarassed masel jist the ither week when wanting one of those :oops:

I was in the local park in Bognor and there was a chap of, shall we say Eastern European origin, serving. I fancied a pokey hat, so I asked for one, blank expression, then I asked for a 99...blank expression....thought sod it and just pointed in the end.....dunderheid!

On another note, have any of you south of the border noticed how we now get the term "dreich" for the weather? Wonder when they'll tell us it's a bit "smirry" out? :wink:

And down here "tea" is a drink.....naw in ma hoose it's naw.

Donnax

Donna
x

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:11 pm

And down here "tea" is a drink.....naw in ma hoose it's naw
When I got married and moved to England I kept refusing a "drink" when visiting friends during the day. It was weeks before one of them asked me if I didn't like tea or coffee. When I explained that I thought she was offering me a DRINK and I don't enjoy alcohol in the day time (my how things change) she couldn't stop giggling.

Then it occured to her that I must have wondered about their alcoholic way if life - more giggles.
[b]Mary[/b]