Yer Mither Tongue

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:02 pm

Ted wrote: "stoapshooglinthewean - ye'llmakitboakitsdennurupawoweryerjackityaegit"

Ted
Is that after you've fed the bairn until he's puggie fou?

Donna
x

I'm offski for the night now....there's another guid wan, "offski" & "amskri offski" or just plain old "amskri". Ahm assumin these are weegie words, we used them in Bearsden!!! Shock, horror, you can see them recoiling in their posh hooses, I've given the game away.

x :wink:

mallog

Post by mallog » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:17 pm

They'll be black-affronted wi you and yer lucky no tae get a skelpit leatherin
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Oh, murder polis......I'll be gettin ma bahookie tanned!
x

Really am off now
:wink:

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:50 am

One of the phrases I can recall my mother using often when we were about to go out someshere and ones of us shot of to the toilet was.

yer like the poachers dug, sit doon when ye see a hare.

Or when we hesitated on going to do something :lol:

We have civilised one from the colonies, my brother in law can now fairly understand most of what is said :lol: although he still comments in amazement at some of our words for some things like stoor, shoogle :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

wini

YER MITHER TONGUE

Post by wini » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:27 am

Jockbird

Murder Polis rang a bell

There used to be a rhyme

Help Murder Polis
3 Sters up?????

but in my 0ld age I can't remember any more.

I just wonder what on earth members of TS who didn't grow up in Scotland make of the language.

Each person who uses the venacular should provide a Glossary

I was born in Glasgow and lived there for 23 years and I have to think twice sometimes.

Does each area of Scotland still have their own accents and "language"
or with the influence of American television has the language become generic?

My first experience as a Glesga child going to the EAST COAST was THEY
said Bairns instead of Weans and when they said "di ye ken"I had no idea what they were talking about

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Davie

Post by Davie » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 am

or with the influence of American television has the language become generic?
Guid point Wini,
That was the reason for the post, to see the diffent dialects.
I think it would be impossible to teach a Mither Tongue in schools for the whole of Scotland, as each area has their ain wey o' cumnicatin'

As for the American influence on the younger generation, Duh!
you better believe it.

Is anyone on here of an age when ye used tar get the belt for usin' yer hoose language in the classroom?
Davie

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 am

Murder,Murder Polis,
Three floors up,
The wummin in the middle hit me wae a cup,
My heid's all broken,my heid's all cut,
Murder Murder Polis three floors up.
Is how I remember this little ditty I am singing away like a"linty" here by my lonesome.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:08 pm

Nice one Joette, hadn't heard that before...mind, always hear my mum saying something is murder polis.

I've got a right mixture and don't know which words are from where, my mum's family were from the North East, then moved to Dunfermline before ending up in Glasgow and my dad's a Bankie with the vast majority of his roots in Ayrshire, Lanark & Glasgow.

I did, a few years ago, have to resort to buying a Scots Dictionary so I could just point my husband in it's direction when he didn't believe me about the meaning of a word.

I remember my Glaswegian Business Studies teacher trying to teach a roomful of Sassenachs but he kept slipping into the vernacular....fine for me I understood every word & didnae do too bad...but he had to resort to bringing in a book called "The Patter" to prove they were real words....tried to find it a while back but couldn't.

One word my gran had was "fuchie" for a cigarette, she always had to check she had her "fuchies".....now where's that from ??? That could be North East, East Coast or just her in her own wee mind? :?

Donna
x

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi Wini
Oh eh. (thats Dundonian for "oh aye")
Five is pronounced "fave"......the following from
www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Midfield/3705/magdundee.htm
- which seems to be currently not availble online. Few edits added.

Dundonian for Beginners

We will take a series of light hearted looks at the Jute Capital dialect. Thinking about it jute and it's derivatives are mildly narcotic which probably goes an admiral distance in explaining the development of the coded language now spoken in that great city.

Part 1: The Dundee Alfubet

A: as in " AIPLE ". That delicious granny smith variety,

B: as in " BA ". Kicked around a field by thousands each week.

C: as in " CHANTAY ". A place of quiet contemplation.

D: as in " DOWP ". That which is sat upon by all.

E: as in " EHRUM ". At the end of which is yer handies.
[E also as in EH or EH? same word (inflection is everything!) which is used for both, "AYE" and "WHIT?" Lesley]

F: as in " FLOORS ". Often given to spouses when trying to regain favour.

G: as in " GAIRDIN ". That piece of brown ground where the "FLOORS " grow

H: as in " HOOS ". The Scotsman's castle.

I: as in " INGLISH ". Our friends form South of the border.
[also I: as in IZZIT? which should be added to the end of a sentence; e.g. "Uts raining, izzit?" which means , "Hey, its raining" Lesley]

J: as in " JEHKIT ". Of the sheepskin or plastic mac variety.

K: as in " KEEKER". Sometimes received for forgetting the "Floors"

L: as in " LUG ". That through which the pleasures of rap music enters the brain.

M: as in " MOOTH ". Quite often opened without thinking and sometimes following the consumption of much pints of heavy leading to receipt of " KEEKER " in public houses and from spouse.

N: as in " NAIKIT ". Barely and rarely seen outside in Scotland due to climate and the risk of exposure.

O: as in "OXTER". But at the other end of your "EHRUM" from your handies.

P: as in " PEECE ". Jam and Jelly are favourites here though mince is not unknown. and peanut butter and banana is now the mode I believe!!
[also P: as in PEH - the well known Dundee favourite - Pie for everyone else!! Lesley]

Q: There is no Q in the Dundonian alfubet. Quite possibly this letter was seen as slightly extravagant and therefore not favoured.

R: as in " RAIDIR ". An affectionate term for one's offspring.

S: as in " SANNAYZ". A bygone form of the Nike and Reebok cult foot-accessory.

T: as in " TULLY ". A local publication renowned for in depth global news coverage. [has been referred to on TS as "The Evening Telegraph", but NO Dundonian wud evver cry it that!]

U: as in " UMPTEEN". Rather MAIR than one but less than HUNNERS.

V: There is no V in the Dundonian Alfubet. This is reserved for Italian ice-cream salesman's names.

W: as in "WINDEE". Through which the gas-man and postie may be observed from the comfort of one's "HOOS"

X: as in nothing there is no X in the Dundonian Alfubet. It was used once in connection with the condition for a pregnant women, XPEKIN but abandoned thereafter.

Y: as in " YELLA ". Of the old dog fame and the colour of that slippery fruit.

Z: as in " ZIT ". This should not be confused with the embarrassing facial blemish and is often used in conjunction with the questioning "WHERZIT? " or the negative questioning " ZITNO ? " meaning "is it not the case?"

Un thurs also http://www.dundonianforbeginners.co.uk/ which is quite good website, izzit?

Best wishes
Lesley

Davie

Post by Davie » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:30 pm

Nice one Lesley,
Clootie City verbal as it is spoke.
Does anyone have similar frae ther ain midden?
As well as my many other collections, I have old songsheets from Scotland.
I prefer ones from after the Second World War these days, as I have most of the older ones in one form or another.
It would be interesting to see if oany o’ yoose kin cum up wey some frae yer ain patch.
Here is anither Weegiewan
http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/c/codliver.html

And a more modern dittie, I first heard sung by Dundee (Football/Soccer)fans when visiting ma toon

Tune: "You are my Sunshine"

You are a weegie
A smelly weegie
You're only happy on giro day
Your ma's a stealer
Your dad's a dealer
Please don't take my hubcaps away

Davie