Porridge

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:17 am

..Wisconsin and had the devil's own job trying to find red lentils.
they didn't know what she was talking about.
Eh?? No red lentils? Aghhhhhhh!!!! :shock:

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:18 am

Hi Russell

Do you add the sage and apple to the oatmeal and onion?

Jean

P.S. My Mother always said the best lentil soup was made from a ham hoch, which is what I do.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:52 am

Hi Jean

Yes. when my veggie daughters are not at home I sometimes add some sausage meat too and just stuff the neck end of the turkey and lay a few rashers of smokey bacon on the breast and drumsticks. If you want to add something to the main carcase put an orange or two inside but prick them first with a fork.
The problem with turkey now is they are so big that a poor, lonely , retired couple could eat the stuff for weeks without finishing it so I slice it and seal it for the freezer and eat some at Easter. None of your ready to eat packages for me :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:17 am

I couldn't resist posting this pic. Sixteen turkeys showed up at my house last year the day before Thanksgiving :shock: There I stood baking a pie in the kitchen and looked up just in time to grab a pic, before they ran off into the woods.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-914

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 am

Hi Marilyn

They looked a lean bunch who were busy doing their own stuffing :-

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:48 am

Yes this type of topic brings back many fond memories.

I remember the paraffin heater well, apart from going to get the paraffin in a shop in Faifley road with my pals helping to carry the tin. Because I was a sickly wain, I had the privelege, if thats the right word, of having the heater in my room, young brother gained too :lol: I recall the light and shapes on the walls and ceiling from the pattern on the heater. Although if I was real sick I got to sleep in the living room in the fold down settee, with the fire on :lol: My brother and I were never allowed to touch or adjust the heater on pain of death :shock: I do remember a school chum losing one of her siblings in a fire that was started by the heater though :(

Ah potted hough, chicken and tottie soup, my mother made her potted hough in the ashet and it was kept in the cupboard/larder in the kitchen, none of us got sick :wink: .

My sister and I were separately trying to make tottie soup a few months ago but it was never the same, my brothers version wasnt even close to the same either. Then bingo! I tried using those fancy lamb ribs as the stock base and it was as close as could be, even my sister agreed, although the mutton flap/ribs would have made it identical, but there werent any in shop, they are hard to come by.

As for chicken soup, my dad was the dab hand at making that out of the old chicken carcass. I have made it often and it is almost identical, but my brother says there is something missing. After reading this thread, I now realise what is missing, our original roast chicken had sausage meat and onion stuffing :!: I know that using the fancy herb stuffing is nowhere like the original.

We too also had the odd can of commercial cream of chicken soup and tomato soup on occasions, we thought it was a real treat :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:49 am

Hi Marilyn

They looked a lean bunch who were busy doing their own stuffing

Russell
Russell,

They were lean, running away from all the hunters in the woods this time of year.... :? All sorts of wildlife stop by my house for a meal, not to mention the skunk living under my shed, which my husband feeds peanut butter toast too..... [help]

P.S. When the porridge was put in the draw, how long was it left in the draw? Long enough to harder and then taken out and cut in squares or was it left in place, until it was all gone?

Regards
Marilyn

wini

Porridge

Post by wini » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:38 am

LESLEY,

I remember the fish van, the coal man etc coming round but the worst ,memeory is being sent to the local coop for a stone of potaoes.
It seemed to weigh a ton. the bread was O.K. because you could pick bits off the outside of the warm bread before you got home. It wasn't so good on wet days, you had to run to try and keep it dry

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

e

Post by e » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:12 am

What are health-food store flapjacks mostly made of? Oats; cooked and cooled and stuck together with the natural gluten that oats contain.

Oatmeal in previous decades wasn't the highly-processed porridge-meal we get packaged for breakfast today - it was more like the, er, "special" rougher-textured, stone-ground stuff you only get now in health-food/organic stores.

The difference between the modern health-store flapjack and drawer-porridge is sweeteners, basically.

Apparently one of the last people in Scotland diagnosed with scurvy (I think it was) was a Glasgow University student who decided to save money by living for a few terms on this drawer-porridge - and nothing else.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:17 am

Hi e

No comment on the porridge/porage? bit as I'm in the States and can't appreciate the difference. I did want to comment though on your username!!! e........it's simple....it's eloquent.....it reminds me of that ancient game of pacman!! Oh gosh....I'm really dating myself now!! Anyhow...welcome to the forum e....I hope you enjoy your time with TalkingScot :D

Best wishes
JustJean