Another Wall to Wall genealogy series...!

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Chris Paton

Another Wall to Wall genealogy series...!

Post by Chris Paton » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:49 pm

Just stumbled across this story in the Guardian at the end of January...

C4 series to explore celebrities' imperial past

Channel 4 is to air a new series called Empire's Children - yet another show in the vein of Who Do You Think You Are?

The show seeks to tell the story of the end of the British empire and the effects of its legacy, by revealing the imperial backgrounds of various British celebrities.

The celebrities include actors Dame Diana Rigg and Adrian Lester, former Liberal Democrat leader Lord Steel, comedian Jenny Eclair, Shameless star Chris Bisson, and Coronation Street's Shobna Gulati. Each is a "child of the empire.

The show is being made by Wall to Wall, the same production company that pioneered the successful genealogy show Who Do You Think You Are?"

So I'm seeing a title sequence with a plinky wee tune, one celebrity after another briefly smiling at the screen, ending on a shot of the celebrity for this week's edition (as in WDYTYA, YDKYB, etc..!).

Anyone want to place a bet...?! lol

Chris
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:35 pm

Did the article say when the series was to start Chris?

Love 'em or hate 'em, nae doot we'll a' have a wee peek.

I know my wee nosey streak will get the better of me so I may as well admit right now that I'll probably watch it.

Anne :lol:

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:39 pm

Yes, filming has already been completed, and it has been scheduled for transmission in the summer.

Chris

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 pm

They're stretching it a bit to include David Steel, - he was only in East Africa (Kenya) for 4 years from the age of 12.

"Child of the Empire" :?: :roll: , he was born in Kirkcaldy, a son of the manse!, and educated at Dumbarton Academy; James Gillespies Boys School, Edinburgh; and George Watsons College, Edinburgh. Oh aye :wink: , and 4 years at the Prince of Wales School, Nairobi.

David

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:50 pm

I'm amazed they have not dragged in Sandy McCall Smith as he was most certainly born in Africa. Not exactly publicity shy usually either!!

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

scooter

Post by scooter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:37 am

Do you know David Steel, David? I'm impressed with your knowledge of him 8)

"So I'm seeing a title sequence with a plinky wee tune, one celebrity after another briefly smiling at the screen, ending on a shot of the celebrity for this week's edition (as in WDYTYA, YDKYB, etc..!). " :lol:

Cheers,

Scott
Researching Wishart (Glasgow & Kirkcaldy), McDonald (Donegal & Falkirk), Thomson (Star, Fife) & Harley (Monimail, Moonzie & Cupar)

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 am

"ding, did-a-ling ding-ding..." !!!! etc

:D :D :D

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:24 am

Scooter wrote:Do you know David Steel, David? I'm impressed with your knowledge of him 8)

........snipped..............
Scott
Weel, I did dance down the streets of Roxburgh with him at 2 am in the morning on 24th March 1965. And I shook hands with Jo Grimond in 1964........ :shock:

Otherwise, I'm a richt guid haun at Google, plus he was the interviewee on a BBC Radio Scotland programme a couple of weeks ago. He started off by scotching the myth that he was born in Africa ..................