Lectures about the Disruption

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

AnneM
Global Moderator

Lectures about the Disruption

Post by AnneM » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi All

On 1st 2nd and 3rd May at 6.30 at Kings College in the University of Aberdeen, (James MacKay Hall) there will be a series of lectures on aspects of the Disruption in Scotland with particular reference to how the issues raised were handled by the Courts.

The lectures will be given by Lord Rodger of Earlsferry, one of the Scottish Judges in the House of Lords and chaired by Lord MacKay of Clashfern, a former Lord Chancellor. Entry is free and there is a reception after the first two lectures.

I will be out of the country at the time or would otherwise be attending and am very sorry to miss this event.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Anne,

I'll add this in our "Whats On" section.

Marilyn

BarbR

Post by BarbR » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:42 am

Just wondering if there is any chance this lecture might be recorded or taped? It sounds very interesting to those of us on distant shores as well as those who would be close enough to attend.

Kind regards
Barbara

Davie

Post by Davie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:42 am

Hi Girls,
While the history of the Kirk in Scotland is gey dear tae ma heart.
Ah’m a Freen o’ the Reformed Presbyterian masel.
I doubt if I could sit through three lectures on the legal aspects of the disruption, never mind travelling up to Aberdeen to listen to them.
If they were here in Glasgow, I would perhaps attend, jist tae see whit they were offering at the receptions.
However, I will be in Bristol at the time and hope to take in a wee informal gathering in the Buckingham chapel there.

Mind you, with the reaction to the Sunday Mails offer on the SP credits on here, it would not surprise me to see a full house at the uni.
Free is oor favourite price oan TS.
I wonder if they will turn up to listen to Lord McKay en mass. (a wee free “in” wan ther)

On a serious point.
Thanks for letting us know about this lecture Anne.
I will need to keep my eye on the “What’s on” page in future.

I have several books on the subject, including the four volume set of the Disruption Worthies.

And it really would surprise me if any members on here turned up.

Awrabest
The Iceman

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:48 am

Thanks Davie,

I've nae dout it's a minority interest but all the same it would be a shame if anyone who might have been interested failed to go because I did not alert them to the event. I would go were I not going to be in South Africa at the time, if only to hear a couple of the best legal brains in Scotland and as you say for the best price available......but then I'm just a sad legal geek!!

The lectures will ultimately be published.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Davie,

My 5 x great uncle Dr. William Henderson was a kirk session elder of long standing who represented Perth at the General Assembly in 1841, 1842 and 1845, but the session minutes for Perth don't mention who was at the Assembly in 1843! The AK Bell recently informed me that in a newspaper article at the time, there was mention of a William Henderson coming out on the side of the Free Kirk, but I know for a fact that my William remained with the established church, as a month after the event I've read how he was on a panel that officially kicked out out one of its own members for siding with the new church. Would the Disruption Worthies books you named mention all the attendess, or just those who left the establishment?

Cheers

Chris :)
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:03 am

If the lectures were closer geographically or spaced out a bit instead of consecutive days, I'd be there.

Not that I'm that interested in the subject matter directly, but indirectly through the major effects on records that interest us :!:

David

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:10 am

Chris Paton wrote:My 5 x great uncle Dr. William Henderson was a kirk session elder of long standing who represented Perth at the General Assembly in 1841, 1842 and 1845, but the session minutes for Perth don't mention who was at the Assembly in 1843! The AK Bell recently informed me that in a newspaper article at the time, there was mention of a William Henderson coming out on the side of the Free Kirk, but I know for a fact that my William remained with the established church, as a month after the event I've read how he was on a panel that officially kicked out out one of its own members for siding with the new church. Would the Disruption Worthies books you named mention all the attendess, or just those who left the establishment?
Hi Chris,

The following webpage has a list of names of the leaders of the Disruption. There are a number from Perth, but not a William Henderson.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/WeeWee ... rname.html

All the best,

AndrewP

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:20 am

Thanks Andrew,

I think this is a list of those who left the established church, my problem is trying to find a list of those who didn't....! lol :) Interesting that the William Henderson mentioned by the A. K. Bell librarian isn't there though - I think I'll have to go to Perth and dig out the article for myself!

Cheers

Chris
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.

Davie

Post by Davie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Chris,
Nothing much on the assemblies
They are just wee sketches of the dignatories who came out.
What kirk was he with?
If he was with the Middle or St Paul's I may be able to find out more.
Willie Fleming wiz steyin' wey me on Saturday.
Gret aw night aboot how his team wur rubbed by an iffy penalty.
And ah had tae watch Doctor Who anaw.
He is Perth born and bred and his grt grt grt granfaither wiz minister of St Paul's years after the disruption.
If you are interested, you are more than welcome to borrow the tomes.
I'll be in at the Glasgow Presbytery the morra morning and then the Mitchell in the afternoon if ye fancy a gab and a coffee.

the Iceman