It isnae political, honest it isnae

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun May 06, 2007 12:11 pm

I suspect over-enthusiasm on the part of the party member concerned !

If electoral law is the same as it was some 30+ years ago when I was a deputy agent for a parliamentary candidate, the agent and their duly accredited representatives have always been permitted to enter a polling station and note the names of those who have already voted (or was it check whether or not certain voters had already cast their vote??.... it is 30+ years ago !!).

But this has to be done strictly in accordance with electoral law, and only by those duly authorised to do so, who will have had to sign a solemn declaration in accordance with the requirements of the Representation of the People Act.

Blocking a voter's entry to a polling station unless they provide personal details is an extremely serious offence, quite possibly resulting in imprisonment on conviction.

David

sporran

Re: voting

Post by sporran » Sun May 06, 2007 12:45 pm

Hello David,

I suggest that you read again my posting of the relevant rule that applies now. It is clear that a presiding officer or clerk(s) may not divulge who has or has not voted.

Contravention carries a fine not exceeding scale 5 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months.

Regards,

John

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun May 06, 2007 2:34 pm

sporran wrote:Hello David,

I suggest that you read again my posting of the relevant rule that applies now. It is clear that a presiding officer or clerk(s) may not divulge who has or has not voted.

Contravention carries a fine not exceeding scale 5 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months.

Regards,

John
Even to a candidate, party election agent or their duly authorised representative, e.g. (party) polling officer ?

David

sporran

Post by sporran » Sun May 06, 2007 4:02 pm

Hello David,

that is the way that I interpret it. My presiding officer, who was an easy-going woman, made it clear that she would not tolerate any party activists hanging around the polling station "like the old days". As you wrote, it was over 30 years ago for you, and the Act was dated 1983.

One of the two candidates called in 3 times and was given rough figures about the turnout, but he did not ask for names and he would not have been given them. But we were in a sleepy Herefordshire village.

Regards,

John

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun May 06, 2007 4:34 pm

I went to vote at 7.15am on Thursday on my way to work. There was one lonesome party representative hanging about outside the church hall gates, but he made no approach to ask about my voting. In previous elections, I have been politely asked if they could count on my support for their candidate. However, I always gave the reply that who I choose to vote for is between me and the ballot box, and is not up for discussion.

Later in the day I was talking to one of the candidates, a friend of mine. He said that he does not believe that there is any value in having a representative standing outside the polling place. Most people already knew who they were coming in to vote for, so were not likely to have their judgement swayed by seeing somebody standing there wearing a particular colour of rosette.

All the best,

AndrewP

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue May 08, 2007 2:46 am

AndrewP

I wish the political hacks that hang outside of polling booths over here had the same notion. Those numpties cant seem to understand that the vast majority of folk have already decided who they will vote for before they go to the polls.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson