MAPI32.dll files

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

MAPI32.dll files

Post by Ted » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Folks

Got a new PC recently - built to my spec by a local company. When I try to sync (using MS Active Sync) my Palm smartphone to Outlook Calendar it brings up an error message saying that the application cannot run as a MAPI32.dll file is missing. It seems easy enough to download the file free on the net (which I have done) - but how do I install it? System is running on MS XP home with Office Pro 2007.

Any suggestions gratefully received (other than the obvious take the CPU back to the company - which would mean dismantling all of the set up & wiring etc - which I hope to avoid if possible).

Thanks lots

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 am

Hi Ted
I know nothing about this problem at all...when when I know nothing about something, after gnashing my teeth, I google!! There are usually others out there somewhere who have experienced similar "blips", but I expect from what you've posted that you may have tried this already. If not, give it a try! (even if you don't solve it that way, at least you know you are not alone..... :roll: )

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... tml?mapi32
seems to be a tutorial here
We also recommend you to read the tutorial how to unzip and install the files.
I'd be a bit wary of installing files from unknown sources though. Best to have a look at a few sites to get a balacned view of the problem and hopefully find a trusted site.

Might reinstalling outlook resolve the issue? (Nah, that is probably waaaaay too straighforward a solution to actually work.... :lol: )

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:12 am

Hello Ted,

It looks like there should be a fixmapi.exe in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder, there is in mine. I discovered that after I’d written all the following waffle but I’ll leave it all there in case this doesn’t work. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlo ... 81033.aspx

I don’t have anything as sophisticated as a smartphone or any use for MS Active Sync so I can’t help with those. It may be worth checking your C:\WINDOWS\system32 to see if the file really is missing. There are stacks of mapi32.dll’s on my original XP Pro installation CD, so I suppose it would be part of a standard installation.

The one I have in XP Pro, C:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll is 109KB, file version 1.0.2536.0, created 10 Nov 2008, modified 01 Sep 2001. There’s also a mapistub.dll in system32 with the same file size and file version. Maybe it’ll be reassuring if your new one matches fairly closely.

I suppose you would just unzip anything and move the mapi32.dll to the system32 folder. If there’s an existing mapi32.dll there and you want to try the new one change the existing ones name to oldmapi32.dll before moving the new one there. That way you can get the old one back if necessary by just changing the name again etc.

My email program has a couple of mapi32.dll related files C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll and also a MapiProxy.dll in the same folder. Maybe the problem could be as Lesley suggested and the one in system32 needs to be modified by either of the programs you mention and needs a reinstall.

Are your Windows Updates being done and are they up to date. Are there any missing updates to MS Office or to any related programs? If your system is completely up to date you probably should be on XP SP3.

Just guessing but hope it’s useful,
Alan

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13 am

Hi Lesley & Alan

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions - I had considered a re-install of MS Office and of Windows to see if that fixed it - my big worry of doing so was that it is not unknown for re-installs to scrub data held on the hard drive. When I got the new PC it took me a painstaking 2 days to get everything set up and transferred across from the old one.

Following on from Alan's suggestion I looked into Activesync folders in programme files - sure enough no MAPI32 file - so I copied the one I had downloaded into it. Lo-and-behold - it worked, now my office PC / Home PC / Laptop / Smartphone all can talk to each other and any data changes sync to each device.

My biggest worry was that I use Roots Magic to store my many years of genealogy research - I use Pocket Genealogist on my Palm Smartphone - so it is essential that I could sync them to make sure I always have my genealogy data with me when I am out and about (I travel a lot) - should the opportunity arise to do some research I have my ancestors in my pocket - so to speak!

Anyway - thanks a million for your advice - I'm a happy bunny now. Who needs IT companies - we have lots of experts here on TS.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:19 am

Hi Ted
So glad you got the problem resolved. Those kind of problems can be so frusrating.

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:11 pm

That's good Ted,

I'm pleased everything's OK.

Alan