Laptop away from home?

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jake Drummond

Laptop away from home?

Post by Jake Drummond » Fri May 08, 2009 9:28 pm

We're off with the caravan in August, and I think the site advertise Internet access.
What will my laptop need to 'connect'?

daj

Post by daj » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 pm

I would think the site is offering wireless internet access, so your laptop will need to be wireless enabled (have an built in receiver). Most laptops bought in the last several years have this. if not you can buy an external device to plug into it.

What you will need to establish is 'who' is providing access at the site. It may be that another firm, say BT, supply the site with the wireless capability and you will need to pay a small fee to use it.

Does the site have a web address I could check and see?
[color=navy]David.
Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire[/color]
[url=http://www.jamiesontree.co.uk]My Tree[/url]

Jake Drummond

Post by Jake Drummond » Fri May 08, 2009 10:56 pm

I see no web address on their website page daj, but it's a Caravan Club site at Alderstead Heath, near Redhill in Surrey.
I should think my laptop will be OK then as it works wireless here at home from the roter which feeds ny PC, which we have wired in that case.
I'd like to be able to use it in the evenings to update my GR family tree with information we may find during the day, and don't mind paying for the use of the facility.

daj

Post by daj » Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Jake

I did a quick search and found a document for the site which says ...."Wi-fi internet access is available on this site. Please ask the Warden for details."

So your wireless enabled laptop will be perfect
[color=navy]David.
Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire[/color]

Jake Drummond

Post by Jake Drummond » Sat May 09, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for that Daj, I'll make us of the facility I'm sure. I wonder if the system will be 'range limited'? It's not a huge site, but longish so might we need to find a pitch near the location of the router?

daj

Post by daj » Sat May 09, 2009 12:13 pm

The range of the router is very dependant on its location, and also the antenna it uses. Theoretically the router could send the signal around 500 feet if it is outside. This drops off quickly inside (around 150 feet).

When booking it may be worth mentioning you would hope to use WiFi as this may dictate your pitch
[color=navy]David.