internet explorer/google

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Rach

internet explorer/google

Post by Rach » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:49 pm

This news was shown to me by a friend who has taken it seriously and changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox. I have done the same in the meantime. It may be a remote chance but until the security is put in place I have done the same. Am I worried about nothing? Has anyone any thoughts on this as I really miss google!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8460819.stm
Rae
Names of interest: Perthshire- Taylor, McDonald, McRaw, Gould; Caithness- Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland; Berwickshire- Darling, Johnson, Whitlie, Forrest/Forrester/Foster, Barns/Barnes,Buglass/Bookless; Wilson, Thorburn, Cowe, Laing, Rae, Colven, Collin,

Russell

Re: internet explorer/google

Post by Russell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Rae

I would suggest that you stay with Firefox as your search engine since it runs on a form of Linux which, so far, has not had problems.
Internet Explorer is a Microsoft programme running on a widely used operating system. It has been specifically targetted since it is an American superfirm with aspirations of taking over the Internet world. They have made aggressive bids for Yahoo recently too.
As far as I know it is only the Chinese sector which has been plagued and attacked.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 pm

We might cause some confusion here:
I would suggest that you stay with Firefox as your search engine since it runs on a form of Linux which, so far, has not had problems.
Firefox is a web browser.
Google is a search engine able to be used with any web browser.

The security issue appears to lie with IE (no surprises there! :roll: ) so using Google with Firefox should not be a problem.

Best wishes
Lesley

Rach

Post by Rach » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi Russell and Lesley,
Thanks for your replies. I am getting used to Firefox and it seems to work quickly. Once I get all the passwords sorted out it will be even better.
Rae
Names of interest: Perthshire- Taylor, McDonald, McRaw, Gould; Caithness- Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland; Berwickshire- Darling, Johnson, Whitlie, Forrest/Forrester/Foster, Barns/Barnes,Buglass/Bookless; Wilson, Thorburn, Cowe, Laing, Rae, Colven, Collin,

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Rach
You can import all your cookies, bookmarks, passwords if you stored them etc. GO to File > Import, choose IE (if that is the browser you have been using) and take it from there.

Best wishes
Lesley