computer projector

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

computer projector

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi all,

This is another of those "too many choices" problems. I do a lot of quilting and am moving toward non-traditional or art quilts. I recently read about someone who use a projector plugged into her computer to project pictures which she had modified with Photoshop onto large pieces of white paper taped to the wall. She was able to trace the appropriate lines and make herself a pattern this way. Sounds better than the old overhead projector, but, as usual, I don't know a thing about these projectors and when I started looking around I got lost in the "home theater woods".

Does anyone know about these projectors?

Just think, you could project your whole family tree on the living room wall when company comes over instead of your slides...

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

LesleyB

Re: computer projector

Post by LesleyB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Carol

I use the kind of projectors you are talking about at work. As far as I remember they are pretty expensive to buy...£1000 or so a few year back, I think... but I expext like many electronic things they have probably come down in price and there are probably also cheaper makes; as usual, I suppose you probably get what you pay for.

I think this is the kind of thing you are meaning:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... 470YCP7YEK
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... 470YCP7YEK

Best wishes
Lesley

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:16 am

Hi Carol,

My last job included the maintenance and repair of digital projectors. The price has come down over the past few years and the screen resolution and overall picture quality have improved as the technology has evolved.

Ask about the price of a replacement lamp and how long the lamp is guaranteed for. It is not uncommon for the lamp cost to exceed the value of the projector when it is a year or two old. It is not ecologically sound, but it is often cheaper to replace the projector than to replace the lamp.

I hope you have flat walls (no textured wallpaper) if you are goung to use it for a tracing surface.

All the best,

AndrewP

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks Lesley and Andrew!

eBay is awash in these things and the prices range from $100 US to the sky! I don't need anything fancy fortunately.

Andrew, thanks for the advice on the lamp. I wouldn't have thought to check that. It sounds like our first fax machine. The machine cost $49 and the replacement ink cartridge cost $35! We only bought it because we were getting nuisance faxes from a mail order pharmacy that the local nursing homes used. One of the nursing homes must have had a number similiar to ours because the pharmacy kept faxing us with questions. I called them and they promised to post a notice which worked for a few weeks. When the ink ran out we left the machine hooked up and now it merrily spits out blank pages. When the pharmacy doesn't receive an answer it trys again and gets the correct number. :roll:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Carol,
Let us know what you end up getting. Those machines are really cool-- I got used to using them when I was teaching and giving talks, etc. and it's one of the few things I miss now that I'm retired :D
It would be great if the price came down enough to buy one to give genealogy presentations to the assembled family-- one way to get them interested with photos and sound, etc. Now if only I had a recording of my great great great grandparents ...

Cheers,
Sarah

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Sarah. Keep going with the seances.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 pm

AnneM wrote:Hi Sarah. Keep going with the seances.
:lol: :lol: I'm not giving up, Anne!

Sarah

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Greetings from New Zealand.

For me computers are a necessary part of life, but I know very little about them. However what you are describing appears to be the type of machinery all the Churches here in NZ appear to be now days using. Not only do they project up their modern songs on to a convenient wall, or screen, they liberally fill their sermon with power point images and clips from current news, Google searches, and even the latest Church organized events. At funerals it’s all home movies and still photo clips. Several of our ladies are into crafts, and I'm quite certain they would quickly availed themselves of the Church equipment, if a craft need arose.

Alan SHARP.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi Alan

Does it never make you want to lose the will to live?? (unless of course the alternative to living is having a powerpoint presentation of your life at your funeral!)

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Sarah,

If you get an answer, let me know. I have a list of people I'd like to ask a few questions!

Alan, I don't plan to be at my funeral so I guess I'd better make sure the relatives learn how to operate the projector!