ScotlandPpeople

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Re: ScotlandPpeople

Post by trish1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 am

There are other options apart from java and direct download. Many people like pdf files - and the pdf option will display the file online & allow you to save a copy to your own computer in this format. There is also a direct image option which displays the image on the screen & a right click will allow the image to be saved. There are a couple of others which I have not tried - flash & activeX - I rarely use the former & have no idea what is the latter.

Like Nina, I currently prefer to stay away from Java. I like to save the images I have paid to view to my own computer - gives me the security of a back up copy to the data stored online by SP - but with pdf or direct image options you can choose jpg or pdf images - view them online & save or not as you wish.

Trish

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:02 am

The US Government advised not using Java a few weeks ago for security reasons. I've uninstalled it on my computer.

Ina

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 am

My own chice has always been direct download. It seems the most straight forward to me, and is not dependent on running web-browser add-ons such as Java or ActiveX.

All the best,

AndrewP

hg

Post by hg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Java is not looking secure at the moment, lots of stuff on the internet. Have uninstalled mine for now. Like Nina I am not sure where else I am using it. I will have a litle play around with the other options on ScotlandsPeople.
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.