Windows8 and IE10

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

bleckie

Windows8 and IE10

Post by bleckie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi All

I have just changed machines and when I access Scotlandspeople I can no longer open all of my previous images.

I can open the images on page 1 but cannot get to any other pages. All previous images are now presented in a table format which it wasn't before.

I was in the library today and could access all my images without any problem as before.

Anyone any ideas

Yours Aye
BruceL

StewL

Re: Windows8 and IE10

Post by StewL » Sat May 11, 2013 3:12 am

Bruce
I don't think it is your operating system that is the problem.
I just tried to look at my previous images (viewed) and like you I cannot get past the first page.
Might have to do a contact form to SP.
Cheers
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:01 am

Perhaps it is fixed because I can see all of my viewed images. I am using windows 7 and mozilla firefox 16 (which is somewhat out of date). Checked my previous searches also - they are all visible.

Trish

PS Maybe should have mentioned - I use direct download - I'm not trying to view on screen

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 am

I am seeing the problem - on Windows 7 and IE10.

I only get to see page 1 of the previous searches and viewed images.

Since I installed IE10 a month or two back, I have noticed another couple of function not working as they should on the ScotlandsPeople site.
  1. On filling in the forms to do a search on any of the different record sets, when you use the drop down county list to show only the districts (or parishes) in that county, it doesn't work. You still have the full list for the whole of Scotland, even though the county name is showing. The only way to make it work is to move on to one of the other boxes in the form and press enter. This does a search, and produces the district (or parish) list for that county.

Previously, when using older versions of IE, as soon as you selected the county on the drop down list, the district (or parish) list was reduced to the ones belonging to that county.
  2. In the previous searches, if you tick the box for it to display as report, the report layout doesn't display properly. The tick box to exit that mode, and the links for the different data exports are not in the right place. They are on top of the data at the top of the list. And the bottom of the list overlays on the page footer rather than push the page footer down to be at the foot of the page below the report.
I also have Google Chrome on my PC as an alternative browser. These functions on ScotlandsPeople work fine on Google Chrome.

I will contact ScotlandsPeople about these matters and see what the response is.

All the best,

AndrewP

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sat May 11, 2013 11:42 am

I had been having various problems with Internet Explorer for a while - nothing seemed to be working properly. There was an automatic update for IE10 a few weeks ago that seemed to put SP out kilter. After a bit of searching on the web, I found IE10 doesn't work with Windows 7 so I deleted the last update but I was still left with the other problems of a very slow moving computer so I switched to Google Chrome and haven't had any problems since.

Regards,

Anne H

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Sat May 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi All

I downloaded Firefox and can access all previous images and searches

It would appear the problem is IE10

Thank You all for your help

Yours Aye
BruceL

ChristineW

Post by ChristineW » Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi All

Like AndrewP, I've got Win 7 with IE10 and couldn't get past page 1 of my previous searches and viewed images. Before downloading Firefox, I had a bash at clicking the 'Compatibility View' icon when on the SP site - and, lo and behold, it actually works. I can now whizz through (the many) pages of previous searches without any problems.

Perhaps this may help someone else?

Cheers
Christine

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am

Hi All

Below is the reply I received from Scotlandspeople.

It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing functionality issues when running IE10 on a Windows 8 machine. In particular, links on the Previous Searches, Viewed Images and Timeline pages can be unresponsive, specifically when clicking the ‘next page’ links. These issues are as a result of browser incompatibility, when the website you are using has some features which are not compatible with the most current version of your browser.

To overcome any compatibility issues between IE10 and affected websites, Windows have introduced a simple fix which ‘restores’ the website to how it should look and function. The issues you have identified can be resolved by clicking the ‘Compatibility View’ icon in the address bar when using IE10 in desktop mode. The following Windows Help page gives instructions for doing so:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/inte ... w#ie=ie-10

If following these steps does not resolve the issues you are experiencing, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours Aye
BruceL