bots

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

bots

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi all,
I noticed down at the bottom of the index page or the forum page that two registered users were online: Bing (bot) and Yahoo (bot). There was a third one that I can't remember and isn't there now. What are these and why are they "registered users"? Just curious.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: bots

Post by SarahND » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi Carol,
I believe (but Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong) that these are the search bots that we give permission to access the site and index it, so that people will find us via an internet search. Many new members have found us via a search, so it seems to be doing a good job!

Best wishes,
Sarah

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Okay. There is so much stuff going on online these days that I wasn't sure what these things were!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Carol,

Sarah has pretty well summed up the presence of the Bots. On the occasion that we install a new version of the forum software, phpBB, it automatically adds the Bots to the membership list - they are not of our choosing. However, if we deleted them from the membership, they would still be able to access the forum, but we wouldn't know that they were there. There presence on the membership list lets us know when they are around.

All the best,

AndrewP