1841 census any suggestions welcome

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

1841 census any suggestions welcome

Post by LesleyB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi all
I'm doing a bit of rumaging about in England on Ancestry and I'm not getting very far today, but I'm not great at using Ancestry as I don't use it that often. :roll:
I have this chap in 1851:

Township of Eaton, Parish of Astbury, Cheshire, Task Fields Farm (?not 100% sure I've got name of farm correct. This EATON is near Congleton)
(Ancestry has the whole lot of Copes and Passes as all being Copes, but there are definately two names there)
Abel Cope H M 63 Farmer of 26 Acres 1 labourer, Cheshire, Hulme_fields?
Jane Cope Wife 61 Cheshire G_mouth
Elizabeth Cope dau U 19 Cheshire, Eaton
Thomas Pass son in law Mar 26 Labourer Cheshire Somerfold?
Mary Pass wife Mar 22 Cheshire, Eaton
George Henry Pass son 2 Cheshire, Eaton
Sarah Ann Pass dau 8months Cheshire, Eaton
Charles Sharpley serv. U 23 Farm Labourer Cheshire, Eaton
William Connerly serv. 16 Farm Labourer Cheshire, Over

And later on he is married with kids in Lancashire:

40 Chancery Lane, Ardwick, Manchester
William Connelly H M 26 Labourer & excavator Over, Cheshire
Margaret Connelly wife M 22 Pendleton, Lancashire
Samuel Connelly son 2 Over Cheshire
Martha Connelly dau 3 months, Ardwick, Manchester

...and I have him tracked from there on to 1891. I thought it would be easy enough to find him in 1841. Guess is he should be listed as born Cheshire and in Cheshire, but Ancestry seems to be giving me back no William / Wm Con*l*y who matches that description. He should be about 6yrs old, and my hope was that I might just catch him with parents and siblings. If anyone spots a likely candidate, please give me a shout - he has to be somewhere!

(Cheshire is not yet on Freecen)

Best wishes
Lesley

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Freecen does have a :

CONNOLY Wm M 5 Lodger Outside Census County (1841) Kilmarnock

with a mother Jess and sister Mary

but even in 1841 it should say England for Birth place.
Wilma

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi Lesley,

I had a look on FMP and couldn't find a William Connelly/Connerly born in Cheshire...even had a look to see if the name might appear with the family of Abel Cope (he was a publican in 1841), or the Pass families, but no luck. I also tried with William C, but again nothing for Cheshire.

I've sent you a pm.

Regards,
Anne H

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

Lesley,

No William in sight, but this might be his family:

1841 Census

Philp Connoly
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Where born: Cheshire, England

Civil Parish: Over
Hundred: Eddisbury (First Division)
County/Island: Cheshire

Street address:

Registration district: Northwich
Sub registration district: Over
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

Philp Connoly 30
Ellen Connoly 25
Hannah Connoly 9
Sarah Connoly 7
Martha Connoly 3

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi Lesley,
I'll put my money on the household of William and Catherine Colloney in Over, Cheshire
Straightforward phonetic process called metathesis (switching around of two elements) and hey presto!

Cheers,
Sarah

P.S. By 1851 father William has died and mother Catherine has married Thomas Oakes. Some of the Conelly (this time) children are still in the household, all born in "Hoever" :D

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Carole - I'd already spotted that family in Over as likely to be connected somehow, but no proof one way or another.

Sarah, thanks for that - I'll go give him a try. Even my wildcarding didn't cover that variation!!

Best wishes
Lesley

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:33 am

Hi lesley

With such a spelling, I usually search ancestry by given name only & looking in 1841 for William born c. 1835 and living in Over gives 37 hits - the most obvious being the family found by Sarah. The 1841 seems most likely - whether this is your William of 1861 may be proven perhaps by a copy of William's marriage certificate - which would name his father (unfortunately not his mother).

Looking for the other children on Free bdm I find
CONNERLEY Samuel Northwich 19 185 registered June Qtr 1838 but no sign of Sophia? There is a Mary registered in the correct district March 1840 - I wonder if they had a change of name at baptism? CheshireBDM gives the same, with the sub-district being Over/Winsford

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 am

trish1 wrote: With such a spelling, I usually search ancestry by given name only & looking in 1841 for William born c. 1835 and living in Over gives 37 hits - the most obvious being the family found by Sarah.
Hi Trish, That's exactly what I did! When a surname doesn't come up in any obvious way, just the first name and approximate age is usually enough to nail them. In this case, he was even where he was supposed to be, so it was quite painless!

Cheers,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Hadn't even thought of not putting in a surname as I am so used to SP and IGI where that is not an option!!

I'm afraid I am going round in circles again...apologies for being so pathetic, I really am not vey good at this Ancestry searching. Again any pointers to finding this one in 1851 would be very much appreciated!

Here they are in 1861;

Chorlton Upon Medlock,
1 Ambrose Street
James Smith H M 44 Coachman, b. Manchester
Ellen Smith M 30 b. Shropshire, Rednall
Emma Smith dau un 10 b. Shropshire, Wittington (Whittington maybe - not far from Oswestry?)
John Smith son un 6 b.Chorlton Upon Medlock
Nelly Smith dau un 4 b.Chorlton Upon Medlock
James Smith son un 2 b.Chorlton Upon Medlock
William Hy Smith son 1.5 months, b. Chorlton Upon Medlock
John Ward Lodger, wid 46 b. Overton

I reckoned there was a good chance James and Ellen were living as a couple in 1851, possibly with baby Emma, and possibly in Shropshire, but just not seeing anything likely. (there is a chance Emma may not be Ellen's, I suppose, but a 1st wife who died young....?)
Wife Ellen states place of birth as Oswestry, Shopshire in 1871. Not looking for any later info, just where they are in the 1851!

Best wishes
Lesley

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:35 am

Hi Lesley

Emma seems to have been born in Atcham in June quarter of 1850 as that district includes Withington. However I can find no sign of them in 1851 but what I did find was that some of the pages from Chorlton upon Medlock seem to have been badly damaged and are illegible. It's my guess that that's where they are.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters