Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

1911 census on subscription

Post by Tracey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Got this email today...............

SERVICE UPDATE: The 1911 Census will be available on subscription from October

Dear

We hope that you’ve been enjoying using the 1911 Census: we are delighted to let you know that following the completion of the final records in June, we are now preparing to make it available as a new subscription package on our sister website, findmypast.com.

Final preparations are underway, and the census will be available online on the findmypast.com website from October 21st, allowing you to search the records at your leisure. 1911census.co.uk will continue to operate as a PayAsYouGo website.

Just seen that it will cost...........
Annual subscription will be £59.99; six months will be £39.99, and "you will be able to search the records at your leisure".
:lol:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

emanday
Global Moderator

Re: 1911 census on subscription

Post by emanday » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:40 pm

Tracey wrote:Just seen that it will cost...........
Annual subscription will be £59.99; six months will be £39.99, and "you will be able to search the records at your leisure".
I also got that with this...

If you want to add the 1911 Census subscription to findmypast.com’s Explorer subscription, we will give you 20% off the combined price, giving you 12 months’ access to findmypast.com for just £119.95 (instead of £149.90 separately) or 6 months’ access for £74.95 (instead of £94.90), for a limited period.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:19 am

Crikes, its no exactly cheap, issit???

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:08 am

It sounds like they have a touch of the greedies. I suppose the Census after that will have a separate subscription as well and so on forever. Not to mention the 1911 Scottish Census when it arrives.

It’s probably a good time to post a link to this site. You can often get much information out of the 1911 census site without paying anything. It comes in handy especially for distant relatives who aren’t really worth the financial trauma. http://www.1911census.org.uk/1911search.htm

Apart from the above I’m currently boycotting the 1911 Census Site in much the same way the suffragettes, and many of their supporters, boycotted the 1911 Census. Someone has to make a stand against tyranny and their exploitative pricing, etc.

Alan

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:51 am

May not be cheap but at least its available and nothing is cheap when you cant find what your looking for !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 am

Currie wrote:It sounds like they have a touch of the greedies. I suppose the Census after that will have a separate subscription as well and so on forever. Not to mention the 1911 Scottish Census when it arrives.

It’s probably a good time to post a link to this site. You can often get much information out of the 1911 census site without paying anything. It comes in handy especially for distant relatives who aren’t really worth the financial trauma. http://www.1911census.org.uk/1911search.htm

Apart from the above I’m currently boycotting the 1911 Census Site in much the same way the suffragettes, and many of their supporters, boycotted the 1911 Census. Someone has to make a stand against tyranny and their exploitative pricing, etc.

Alan
Hi Alan

I do agree. I have never been happy with this site & what and how they charge. I find the searching extremely weird & have paid for a few transcripts in error so would suggest if anyone really wants the 1911 information, a subscription is a much better option than pay to go. I have yet to pay the amount requested for an image of the census data.

Despite the many criticisms of another large genealogy site, I find it has been quite wonderful in filling in many ancestors in my research. I have subscribed to said site for 4 years and will continue to do so, in preference to other sites. I will probably take out a 6 months sub to 1911 and work overtime during that 6 months

Trish

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:10 am

With a Smith to find in 1911, a male aged 19, and who has left home by that date (not with family in the 1911 page) and who may be in England or perhaps in Scotland by that date, given that I do not know where he is likely to be or who with, the potential cost is a bit sobering! :shock:

I'll find him one day.... but I think the best option for me is to wait for 1911 in Scotland, go for a day to the SP centre to either find him in Scotland or come to the conclusion he must be in England, and hope that by then the cost of accessing the 1911 English census will have decreased.

Best wishes
Lesley

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Lesley

A subscription is really the only way to find such a person at any sort of reasonable cost. I once searched the 1861 England census for a "John" born in Devonshire, father John! I looked at hundreds of images - could only do it with a sub

Trish