Inquest info after suicide

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Inquest info after suicide

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi

According to his death certificate grandpa's cousin Alexander Tait, gamekeeper of Hever, Kent, aged 29, committed suicide by drowning in the River Eden 28 July 1891. The family story was that he had been "shot by a poacher" - just another red herring!

The reg. states that a cert. was received from the Depute Coroner after an inquest and I have been trying to find if this record is held at the National Archives. No luck, as usual. Any guidance on how/where to find such a record or an idea of what the relevant local newspaper might have been would be appreciated. While the parish is Hever, the area is also referred to as Sevenoaks.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

Currie

Re: Inquest info after suicide

Post by Currie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:48 am

Hello Lorna,

I can’t find anything in the newspapers I can access. On what date was the death registered? (In case the body was not recovered soon after death).

Try the Sevenoaks Chronicle http://www.britishpapers.co.uk/england- ... chronicle/
“At the time of its launch in 1881 it faced competition from no less than three rival newspapers, the Sevenoaks Express, the Sevenoaks Free Press and the Sevenoaks Herald”.

The Sevenoaks Chronicle (1881-)
This weekly local newspaper is held on microfilm at Sevenoaks Library.
http://sasesearch.brighton.ac.uk/view/c ... =&film=866

A newspaper report would show which Coroner’s Court dealt with the Inquest.

There’s a North West Kent Coroners Court (does that fit the territory?) The London Metropolitan Archives has records but only from 1951. Some Coroner Court records may not have survived. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/ ... ID=O128340

There was a West Kent Coroner in the 1880s by name of E. A. Carttar, who heard cases at places such as Bexley Heath, Greenwich, Bromley, Lewisham etc. He was still in that position in 1892. There was also an East Kent Coroner at that time.

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Great Alan

That gives me plenty to go on. Following is the entry on the death reg.

"427; Twenty eighth July 1891 at Hever in the Parish of Hever in Kent; RSD; Alexander TAITE (sic); Male; 29 years; Gamekeeper; Suicide by drowning in the river Eden at Hever whilst in a state of unsound mind; Certificate received from Richard Austin Deputy Coroner for Kent. Inquest held 6th August 1891; Eighth August 1891; G Paine, Registrar."

It maybe sounds a bit macabre wanting details of the inquest, but Alex's direct descendant in Canada with whom I share family history would like to believe he was pushed rather than jumped! I think that detail from the inquest might give reasons for his "state of unsound mind" and lay the ghost as it were.

Anyway, the background to family history is what keeps me addicted :roll:

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance Alan.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks Lorna,

I had another look but still nothing to report. Richard Austin, the Deputy Coroner, doesn’t seem to get a mention anywhere. Perhaps he did the work and Mr. Carttar got the publicity.

The 19C newspapers are full of suicides, many of them gruesomely messy. Drowning possibly shows a bit of consideration for the impact things have on other people.

Best of luck,
Alan