Irish birth help

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

ali2511

Post by ali2511 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Many Thanks Annette after you said that I found this birth on the familysearch site:

James Frazer born 3 Dec in Lisburn, Antrim 1845

Father = John Frazer
Mother = Jane Elliot

Not sure if its him and it would have made him 17 when he got married, would that be normal to get married so young do you think?

Thanks again
Ali :)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi Ali
The record you have found on IGI is a submission, so quite possibly to be taken with a pinch of salt. Ideally, what you want to find is an extract, which is taken directly from a parish record or other official source. A submission is added by an LDS church member - it may or may not be accurate; some submissions are "spot on", but others are in the realms of fantasy..... The fact that it gives a precise date suggests it may hold some water, but it is difficult to make a judgement as we do not know what the original source of this info is, and sources are very important in family history research. At least it does not say <about 1845> which would suggest an estimate.

Best wishes
Lesley

ali2511

Post by ali2511 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks for the explanation Lesley.

ali2511

Could be them?

Post by ali2511 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi

I know this is an old thread now but I wondered if anyone had advice.

I found a marriage for John Fraser and Jane Mcfarland 1828 St Columbs Church Templemore.

Jane is listed as living in Ballykelly which is where James & Rachel lived so I'm thinking this may be the Jane Frazer listed in Carrick on the griffiths valuation and John Fraser was a Tide waiter so it makes sense he was in Templemore near the port or does it?

Does this make sense or do you think I'm clutching at straws? :)

Many thanks for any advice
Ali