Irish BMD indexes now on Family Search!!!!!

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Topaz
It means:
a. you can look up the Irish Civil Indexes on line
b. You can order a specific B, M or D Civil Registration Document by post from Roscommon

Also see http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 4065#94065
and
http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10339

Best wishes
Lesley

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Topaz,

I've been helping a friend research her family in North Carolina. The first members arrived as early as 1650 something, mostly from Scotland but there is one from Ireland in there too.

Once they landed here in the US, their records will depend on which states they lived in and vary widely. Finding where they came from originally is difficult because most of the records simply say Scotland or Ireland etc. with no specific location given.

The only advice I can give is to jump in and try. I've been very surprised by the number of North Carolina records available! Also, if you are using Ancestry, don't forget to check the family trees for other people who might be looking for the same person. If you know where they ended up living, Google that county for genealogy societies. I found two for my friend and she has had answers from both. One hosts a family reunion every October which she is planning to attend.

And don't hesitate to ask questions here on TS!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

topaz

Thank you Lesley and Carol

Post by topaz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:06 am

I'll check the links.

I've been researching for 20 years, but the Irish research has always stumped me.

my own Irish came early to America. the Collins' are definitely from the Carolina's, but I've been stymied. I think I may have found their marriage record, but can't prove it-they made the awful decision to remove first to Alabama, then to Texas, all before the Civil War. the Peytons, which can be Irish, are English-Yorkshire. the Higgins are said to be from the Carolina's, but I find them the earlest in Jackson Co., TN (1802, though I have it that my John Higgins was born 22 Dec 1776 TN. his wife, who's maiden name isn't known, was born in Virginia.

then I have my late husband's Irish ancestry based in Ohio, and my present husband's Irish ancestors out of Pennsylvania and parts unknown
Arch.*McDonald*+Margt, son Al. Don.*McPhail* +Mary*McAskill*.Rbrt*Atkinson*+Mary*Aitken*,Rchd*Atkinson*+Ann*Airey*.Catherine*Scott* Azariah*Ross*+ Polly *Chittenden*. *Moore*?
Wm G(Greer?) *Denniston*+Jane C *Stewart*

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:28 am

Hi Topaz,

http://www.tngenweb.org/pre1796/

This is a link that will explain some of the history of eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina. North Carolina didn't actually cede her far western territory until something like 1790 so your Higgins relatives may in fact have been from North Carolina.

I've been working more in the central part of North Carolina, but Ancestry does have some records from the western districts--sometimes called militia districts before they acquired enough population to become counties. There is also a Moore County, NC which has a lot of Moores in it's records--just to add to your confusion!

Good hunting!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

topaz

Thank you Carol

Post by topaz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:56 am

I'll check the links out after dinner.

we aren't related to the So. Moores. Ed's Moore's are out of Beaver Co., PA. not many northern Moore's have done their dna testing, so we aren't much related to anyone at this point!

The Collins marriage record is out of Mecklenburg Co., the rest are totally unknown.

I have a John and Mariam Higgins b. in the 1730s. that's a bit early for a 1770's birth, so I don't know if they are parents or grandparents of my John Higgins. Mariam (Miriam?) is an unusual enough name, I haven't tried to find them in Ancestry's records for years, so a check now is well due. John and Miriam are listed seperately from the rest of the family in a family bible.
Arch.*McDonald*+Margt, son Al. Don.*McPhail* +Mary*McAskill*.Rbrt*Atkinson*+Mary*Aitken*,Rchd*Atkinson*+Ann*Airey*.Catherine*Scott* Azariah*Ross*+ Polly *Chittenden*. *Moore*?

linzilex

Post by linzilex » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:42 am

Hi just found pilotfamilysearch last week. lost a whole day looking, it was wonderful. found relatives that I couldnt find anywhere else. I have sent off the forms asking for certificates, I sure hope they can deliver. I agree with others, maybe they are still entering information, but several relatives couldnt be found. Also dont know where in Ireland they came from so everyone of them I entered Ireland. Now for the long wait to see if the GRO can come through with marriage and death certs. Lindsey

brabason

Re: Irish BMD indexes now on Family Search!!!!!

Post by brabason » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:48 pm

About pilotfamilysearch. You need to search for the correct collection, this is not obvious in the site but this is how it is done:

First select 'Browse our Record Collections' below the query entry form.

This will give a summary screen with a choice of 161 regions.

Click on the down arrow at the 161 regions and select Europe 39 regions.

The click on 'Browse Collections' and follow down the list and click on 'Ireland Civil Registrations 1845 - 1958'

This will bring you back to the query screen with the appropriate title.

Not at all evident, had to find this the hard way.

topaz

Re: Irish BMD indexes now on Family Search!!!!!

Post by topaz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:28 am

I'e had some luck at this site, recently;

www.brsgenealogy.com

This is the site of the Irish Family History Foundation. You will have to register to use the site, then after you sign in just click on the map of Ireland on the county you need and then follow the instructions. the vital records index is free, but the records are fee based.