Donnelly of Kilcronaghan, Derry, Ireland

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

dunli

Donnelly of Kilcronaghan, Derry, Ireland

Post by dunli » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:31 pm

I hope there is some snippet of information out there that can spark a new light.

I have done a little research but I now seem to be digging stones instead of potatoes. My journey has taken me from Barrhead, Renfrewshire, Scotland, to Ireland with 3 pieces of information.

Henry Donnelly (born 1818)married Helen Kerr(born 1810) were from Kilcronaghan, Londonderry. After their son Thomas (born 1851)was born, they left Kilcronaghan and settled in Barrhead, Renfrewshire, Scotland. Henry was a flesher by trade.

Prior to that Henry Donnelly (born 1790) married Sarah Cain (born 1794)in Kilcronaghan in 1815.

Henry Donnelly (born 1772) married Anne Wisener (born 1776) in Kilcronaghan in 1813 I'm a bit dubious about Henry (born 1772) being married in 1813 although I suppose it is possible.

I take it Kilcronaghan is or was a parish and not a town. I have no information as to which town or dwelling they came from, or indeed in which graveyard they may be resting.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Dunli

[/b]

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi dunli,

Even though I can't answer your question, I just wanted to point out these helpful links for Irish research :)

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10339

Regards
Marilyn

dunli

Post by dunli » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks for the information Marilyn.

I had a quick check on the link and it looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time there.

First I think I'll have to get some food and get back to it!

Catch up later,

Dunli

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Dunli
Looks like Kilcronaghan was a parish:
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/geogin ... par167.htm

You seem to have reached much further back in Ireland than many of us manage, so you may find that the records become much thinner on the ground and that progress may grind to a slow halt. :roll:

If they died after 1855 in Scotland their death entries will be avaibale on the ScotalndsPeople site, but it is likely that no place of burial will be menitoned there, but I expect you already have followed these up. There are two cemeteries in Barrhead that I know of, St Convals being the most likely if the family were RC, but I think it is a more recent cemetery - from the 1930s or so onwards. St Convals are very helpful on the phone if you can provide a date of death, as it seems their records are in a database so reasonably straightforward to check for names and matching dates. see http://www.glasgowonline.co.uk/info/23232/

The other cemetery at the south end of Barrhead is Neilston cemetery, which opened in 1878, so maybe the more likely of the two for your couple. Contact number 0141 577 3913 for more information.

Best wishes
Lesley

dunli

Post by dunli » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello Lesley,

Many thanks for the information. I think I have also found out through this site that the place name my ancestry came from was Gortahurk in the Parish of Kilcronaghan. More investigation needed.

It's a good feeling when you edge a little further along the pathway.

Hope to speak soon,

Dunli