COPY RECORDS FROM IRISH GRO

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosieno1

COPY RECORDS FROM IRISH GRO

Post by rosieno1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:27 am

Does anyone know how long it takes for records to be received from Roscomman ??

I posted off an application for a marriage certificate, 3-4 weeks ago and i've heard nothing yet!

Nothing on my credit card bill either!

Don't want to hassle them, unless this really is too long to wait.

Anyone have any experience of waiting??

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi Rosie

I jave ordered quite a few things from Roscommon in the past. I seem to remember it did take a few weeks, but times were variable too. Some arrived in around a week to two weeks. It think it maybe depends how busy they are just as with the English GRO.

Best wishes
Lesley

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Finally received the marriage certificate in the post from Ireland today - well worth the wait, as it has a place of residence! - will help me I hope to identify the parents out of quite a few possibles!

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Rosie
Good to hear it has arrived and was worth waiting for! :D

Best wishes
Lesley

brabason

Re: COPY RECORDS FROM IRISH GRO

Post by brabason » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:14 pm

It can be slow from GRO, especially if they are busy or during holidays etc. Occasionally very fast if you can quote the index reference. Index references not available on-line but available as microfilm in LDS family research centres (one in Belfast).
If they do not find the record you are looking for, they will write to you saying so. Patience is necessary.
Photocopies can be of poor quality and difficult to read but are lower cost; not necessary to purchase certified documents (more costly and slower to produce).
Irish records are quite limited, generally omit mother from births and marriages. Often age on marriages is missing and replaced with 'full age' (over 21?).

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Brabason
...and welcome to Talking Scot :D
Index references not available on-line
Index references are available online:
Ireland Civil registation Indexes 1845 - 1958 can be searched at
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html

Best wishes
Lesley

brabason

Post by brabason » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi LesleyB

The link in your reply is to the LDS familysearch web site. The reference numbers are to LDS film records, they are not the indexes to the GROI statutory records.

LDS is often useful but secondary transcripts at best, sometimes wrong. As I understand it, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints first tried to record every person's birth so as to save their souls. The Family Search web site and the LDS records is simply making use of this valuable asset. Any one record could be copied several times or not at all depending on how often its people visited an area.

I tried to look up a well documented great -grandmother of mine. The Family Research site returned 64 entries of her death, all with different LDS film and record numbers. Not one entry for her birth.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Brabason
The link in your reply is to the LDS familysearch web site.
Yes, that is correct.
And if you click on the link I gave above, you will be taken to the pilot search area where you can search the Ireland Civil registation Indexes 1845 - 1958, as stated above. The reference numbers given in this part of the site are nothing to do with the reference numbers given on the IGI or elsewhere on the LDS site.

Best wishes
Lesley

brabason

Post by brabason » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:21 am

Hi Lesley

Found the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes 1845 - 1958. Pilot site as you say, not clear that you first need to browse the record collections to find a link to any particular collection. Thanks anyway for insisting.

The year and quarter information will help with GROI searches. Reference to the book of original entries is missing; this is available on the microfilms of the indexes.