A Long Shot

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

frances

A Long Shot

Post by frances » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Am trying to find any information on Francis Smith and his wife Maryanne O'Neil. In the 1891 Francis's age is given as 40 and Maryanne's as 32. They were both born in Ireland.No county given.

On their son John's marriage certificate (1900)to Mary Gallacher Francis is deceased.

Also trying to find Francis' parents John Smith and Nancy McBryne.

A long shot given that I do not know which part of Ireland they were born in :? . Any help would be much appreciated.

Frances
searching for macrae family Black Isle/ Invernessshire

Kelly/Kelley/Burns family -Ireland /Lanarkshire/Edinburgh

nelmit

Re: A Long Shot

Post by nelmit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:11 pm

frances wrote:Am trying to find any information on Francis Smith and his wife Maryanne O'Neil. In the 1891 Francis's age is given as 40 and Maryanne's as 32. They were both born in Ireland.No county given.

On their son John's marriage certificate (1900)to Mary Gallacher Francis is deceased.

Also trying to find Francis' parents John Smith and Nancy McBryne.

A long shot given that I do not know which part of Ireland they were born in :? . Any help would be much appreciated.

Frances
The 1891 census also states that John and wee Francis (he would probably be easier to find) were born at Glasgow so a look at their birth entries should show when and where Francis and Mary Ann were married. There is a really big age gap between John and Francis so I wonder if either John or Mary Ann had been married before. It looks as though wee Francis is living with a William O'Neil who states he is his stepson in 1901. Did Mary Ann marry again?

Have you tried Scotlands People for a marriage between Francis and Mary Ann?

More questions than answers at the moment but we'll get there.

Regards,
Annette

frances

Post by frances » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Hello Annette,

Thanks for that. I will need to look again at what I have already found, think I may be a bit confused :? The 1891 Census (Bothwell) that I have looked at has Francis with Mary Ann and their children John and Francis, no sign of a lodger :? Am I going blind ?

Also got the 1901 census with John living with Mary and Charles Gallacher , Boarder. Mary's brother I assume.

Frances :)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 pm

frances wrote:Hello Annette,

Thanks for that. I will need to look again at what I have already found, think I may be a bit confused :? The 1891 Census (Bothwell) that I have looked at has Francis with Mary Ann and their children John and Francis, no sign of a lodger :? Am I going blind ?

Also got the 1901 census with John living with Mary and Charles Gallacher , Boarder. Mary's brother I assume.

Hi Frances,

Yes that's the 1891 I was looking at. Don't know where the lodger came in. :? :D

The other census I was talking about was 1901 where wee Francis appears to be the stepson of William O'Neil.

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Still no help really but this looks as though it could be them in 1881 at Dennistoun.

Francis Smith 36 Ireland
Mary Ann Smith 22 Ireland
John Smith 3 Glasgow

Regards,
Annette

deano

Post by deano » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello Frances, and Annette,

This is a long shot, there is a marriage for a Francis Smith, and a Mary Neill, 1876. Bridgeton, Glasgow. This may well be your couple, its the correct area, going by the 1881 census. Annette, provided. If you also look at the 1881. census there are no other Francis Smith's, with a Mary. in that region.

It may well be worth the gamble to have a peek at this marriage.

Regards,
Jonn.

frances

Post by frances » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Hello Annette & John,

Thank you both for the information :) .The marriage proved to be the correct one between Francis and Mary Ann, I now have their parents , John Smith & Ann McBrien and John O'Neil and Mary McCormick.

According to the 1881 census Francis and Mary Ann were born in Ireland , can we assume that their parents were born their as well ?.

Also managed to find Francis's death at the early age of 44 in an accident at the Clydesdale Iron & Steel works at Holytown.

Will keep looking to see what else I can come up with for young Francis and his brother John, both on the 1891 census ..

Thanks again

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:13 pm

You learn to never assume :wink: anything in this business but in this case you are probably correct.

There is this birth at the IGI which might help with Mary Ann's birthplace-

MICHAEL ONEAL

Event(s):
Birth:
20 MAR 1865 0277, Ennistimon, Clare, Ireland

Parents:
Father: JOHN ONEAL
Mother: MARY MACORMACK

Regards,
Annette

frances

Post by frances » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks for that Annette,

That's brilliant. :D

Frances

frances

Post by frances » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Hello Annette,

I wonder if you could tell me what area you found Francis living with William O'Neil in the 1901 census :?

Really do think I am going blind.

Regards

Frances