Bellaghy / Co. Londonderry

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Helene

Re: Bellaghy / Co. Londonderry

Post by Helene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 am

Brian

Good to have a chat! It's exciting to come across a mention of familiar names and I'm pleased to be able to contribute a few bits and pieces. The real gem that I can offer you is a photograph of Robert, Lizzie and Sarah. You may have it already of course. I'm new to this site and have no idea how I can email it to you, so would appreciate your advice.

I believe Robert and Lizzie were married in Castledawson Presbyterian Church in October 1902. You were right - they married later in life and had no children. They were the last of that Burnside family to live in Killyberry. I think Lizzie died about 1941, but I need to confirm that. There was another Burnside family, including a Robert, living close by, presumably cousins, but I'm told they went to Australia. I have no date for that.

The real expert is my cousin who lives locally and knows Killyberry and a lot of it's oral history well. If I can figure out a way to send you his phone no. without posting it publicly, he would be happy to chat to you.

Helen

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 am

Hi Helen,

You can send Brian a PM (Private Message). You should find a [PM] button below his name on his repply above - click on that and create a message there. That message is private between you and Brian, so is the place for e-mail addresses, phone numbers and the like.

All the best,

AndrewP

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi Helen,

I've never been rendered speechless by a post on Talking Scot before, but the news that you have a photo not only of my grandmother's uncle, but also my great-great grandmother has managed to do it! \:D/

I would love to have a copy of the photograph, as I never knew any family photos from Ireland existed and it would be a real treasure to have. My great grandfather, John Burnside, left Ireland at 17 and although he went back for visits, I don't suppose at that age he would have thought about the need to take any family photos, assuming that there were any in the 1890s! I have already rummaged through my grandmother's photographs and she does not have any photos of her family beyond her parents and siblings. She would be thrilled to see her grandmother! I have sent you a Private Message with my email address so hopefully we can make it work.

I'm in Scotland and have been stuck with the Burnsides for ages. Partly due to the lack of census material before 1901 and partly because there seems to have been so many of them. I think there may have been several families of cousins in and around Killyberry, which also complicates things.

The reason that my great-grandfather came to Scotland was that he would not take over the smallholding from his father and it was probably too small to continue to support everyone. I imagine that this would be the same for many families - my wife's grandmother is from County Tyrone and she has relations all over the world as people sought to make new lives in places like Canada and Australia.

I would also be delighted if your cousin could share any other stories or information about my family and please pass on both my details and my thanks to him.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Helene

Post by Helene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:17 pm

AndrewP

Thank you for your welcome advice. Mission accomplished!

My compliments on this friendly and efficient forum.

Helen

Helene

Post by Helene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Brian
I am pleased to say I have been able to email the photo. I hope it gets to the right place.
The story you tell is a familiar one - large families unable to make a living on the home farm and having no choice but to make a life in other countries. My own ancestors scattered all over the world from small Irish farms. I suppose genealogy is the art of getting them all back together again, if only on paper. Somehow you feel you get to know and appreciate each one and their tough life is not forgotten.
A quick thank you in this post to Elwyn for the useful info on Bellaghy churches.
Helene

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi ,

Just to let Helen and everyone else know that I have received the photo and to thank Helen again on behalf of me and my grandmother for taking the time and effort to send it to us. I was able to show it to my grandmother last night, who was very happy to see it and which sparked a number of stories about family visits to Ireland and the people that she met nearly 80 years ago. Helen and I have exchanged info by PM and email and I am also delighted that she has been able to fill in some gaps in my knowledge.

TalkingScot does it again!!! =D>

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire

burnside

Post by burnside » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Brian time has passed since you asked about graveyards my father is buried in bellaghy his family graves could be found in Grange Presbyterian church Toomebridge and in Kilrea,hope this helps. Jim

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:21 am

Hi Burnside,

Thank for for the extra info - it's another place to look :)

I managed to stop by Bellaghy in May this year for a pitstop on our way to spend a couple of days in Tyrone and Donegal. We managed to find the location of the house of my Burnside relations, as a result of knocking on a few doors! To match the photo that Helen sent me, I now have a photo of me and the current owner of the property, which was lovely - your post has reminded me that I haven't send a copy of the photo on as I meant to. Will rectify that this week.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire

burnside

Post by burnside » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Brian,some additional information ,my aunt was a Davidson and lived on a hill in Killaberry,she married a Kennedy who lived a short distance towards Bellaghy,now it was common at that time for famalies to exchange surnames as first names,so her brother in law was called Burnside Kennedy,so somewhere there should be a Kennedy Burnside.Going through our family history there is more females than males,of those males they did not always marry,that sill applies even to my sons,this could explain why your side seems to have died off.Jlm