Turley/Torley from Ireland????

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

maggiehill

Turley/Torley from Ireland????

Post by maggiehill » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:38 pm

My ancestor Andrew Turley was born at Airdrie about 1812 according to his death cert which also has his parents as Stephen Turley and unnamed mother.
On Thomas his brother’s death certificate his parents were Stephen Turley and Agnes Logan.

Have found on the Catholic Registers the following;

Thomas Torley born 3 April 1810 parents Stephen Torley and Nancy Rogan at Glasgow, St Andrews.

James Torley born 26 February 1817 parents Stephen Torley and Agnes Rogan at Glasgow St Andrews.

I cannot find any entry for Andrew.

Searching the Catholic Baptism Records there are no Turley/Torley births earlier than 1800 is it right to assume that the father Stephen came from Ireland around 1800.

There were many Turley/Torley’s living in Co Down in the 1800’s.

Can anyone give me a pointer to where I go from here?
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

LesleyB

Re: Turley/Torley from Ireland????

Post by LesleyB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Maggie
Searching the Catholic Baptism Records there are no Turley/Torley births earlier than 1800 is it right to assume that the father Stephen came from Ireland around 1800.
It may just be that there were no earlier records kept, perhaps?
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/conte ... spx?r=1361
Approximately 700 registers have survived, the earliest dating from 1703, but most records only beginning in the 30 years following the relaxation of legislation against Catholics in the 1790s.
Any sign of a marriage for the parents?

Best wishes
Lesley

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi Lesley

It is most probably they did not record any births. I am hoping to find wedding information when the records come on line.

My maiden name was Turley and my mother said they may have originated from the mines in Cornwall, she thought this as all my fathers family were miners.

It appears all my early ancestors were cotton weavers.

Maggie
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:32 pm

There is this family at Airdrie in 1841 from FREECEN-

Piece: SCT1841/651 Place: New Monkland -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 8
Civil Parish: New Monkland Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Airdrie
Folio: 11 Page: 4
Address: Graham Street

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MCCAUGHAN Agnes F 35 Widow Ireland
MCCAUGHAN Hough M 16 Collier Lanarkshire
MCCAUGHAN James M 9 Lanarkshire
TOWRLY (Widow) F 60 Ireland
MCCORT Marey Ann F 25 Ireland

This looks like her in 1851 at Airdrie -

Mrs. Young 76
Mrs. Gardener 70
Mrs. Tarlie 73 born Ireland

There is a death at Airdrie in 1859 of an Agnes Turly/Logan at SP. The age appears to be unrecorded and I'm not so sure that her husband's name will be given but hopefully, with any luck, Andrew or Thomas registered it.

Regards,
Annette

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Annette

Thanks very much for what you have found, I had the 1841 Census but was not sure it was mine.

I could not find her on the 1851 Census as she is not indexed on Scotlandspeople (did not think to try FreeCen) and also the copy is unreadable on SP.

On the death cert which I did not have (there is so many spellings) she is aged 82, a widow of a weaver and her son Thomas was the witness, so she must be my ancestor.

Next step to find her husband Stephen.

Maggie
Maggie

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Maggie,

On ScotlandsPeople she is indexed as Tirlie (with no first name) on the 1851 census. Then as you say when you see the census page, it is worthless. There are no words or numbers on that page that can be read. You can see scattered pen strokes, but nothing that you could make out the letters or numbers of. If you paid for that page on ScotlandsPeople, I hope you completed a contact form. They would do a new scan of that page and e-mail it to you.

All the best,

AndrewP

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:45 pm

No help with Stephen but have you looked at the RC birth of the Andrew Torley born Glasgow, St Andrews in 1819?

Regards,
Annette

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Annette

Yes I have seen that one, the couple had 4 children. My Andrew was born about 1812 according to his death cert and Census's. They are probably related as all the Turley/Torley families named their children with the same Christian names.

Maggie
Maggie